• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO filtering setup

pigpen60

What do yall think about my wmo filtering setup? It has a 5 micron polypro filter then the gearpump and then a 1 micron polypro cored string wound filter out. I plan on using a pp string wound filter on the 5 micron. Whole thing sets on an open top barrel that I heat with a hotplate pressed snug to the bottom for dewatering.100_1451.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its not too bad, but you will have issues with the stock O-rings on those housings. When I was using that style I had to swap to a fuel compatible O-ring.

gimpyrobb

I don't have a good answer for you. I took the housing to my local seal shop, told them what I was doing and they sold me a seal that worked fine.

flatheadvff

where do you find such filters? And about how much do they cost? I know a centrifuge would actually be better, but from what I've read 1 micron should be plenti useable. About how much oil are you able to filter before filter change and how long does it take? Curious as I have about two hundred gallons of wmo, I would like to filter and burn. I have hydraulic pumps I could probably use in making a system.

pigpen60

Like Gimpyrobb said i bought the filter housings at a local hardware store for $22 each and the filters I bought from Mcmaster carr. I dont remember the price but i can say I purchased 10" polypro cored string wound filters. Can't remember why i used string wound, maybe someone can refresh my memory. As to how fast it ran, not sure but i remember thinking that 30 something gallons ran faster than i expected. And on to filter life, I have not hit the lifespan of these filters. I screwed up and did'nt log how much oil I ran through the 1 micron before i bought the second housing and filter. For the o-ring material I will likely buy viton from Mcmaster carr in the appropriate size. The WMO i filtered was heated to 170 f. and let cool and set for 5 days prior to filtering. Hope i hit everything for you.

gimpyrobb

Kipman had a million of the filters(don't remember micron size) for great prices, might try sending him a PM for some.

flatheadvff

wow quick response. Thank you, now does anyone know where I can get a large supply of "round to its"? I have plenty of time for the oil to settle, as first I need to rebuild my all fuel.

Beyond Biodiesel

What do yall think about my wmo filtering setup? It has a 5 micron polypro filter then the gearpump and then a 1 micron polypro cored string wound filter out. I plan on using a pp string wound filter on the 5 micron. Whole thing sets on an open top barrel that I heat with a hotplate pressed snug to the bottom for dewatering.View attachment 634894
I have been using the whole house style filters made by Pentek for about 10 years. I have happy with them, except if you run gasoline-waste oil blends, like I do, then the alcohol in the blend will cause these polypropylene filter housing to swell. So, when you go to change the filter, then you will find the housing will not screw back together, until it has sat in open air for about 6 months. So, I know of several sets of Pentek polypropylene filter housings.

On the type of o-ring to use, Viton is best, because it resists solvents better than other o-ring materials; however, they tend to be expensive and difficult to find. So, as long as you keep the diesel in your blend at or below 50%; and or, the gasoline in your fuel blend down at or below 30%, then BUNA-N is fine, cheaper and easier to find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks