• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO pump question

dstang97

I did tons of searching but no one mentioned this. Do you think a oil pump from a furnace would work to push fuel through a filter rack?

Josh

Heating oil is basically diesel.

The best pump to push oil through filters, in my opinion, are diaphram pumps. If its a diaphram pump it would probably work. If its a rotary pump, it might stall out if to much if there is to much resistance.

'48Chevy6

The best way to push oil through filters is probably the diaphragm pump. Just be careful to not over pressurize the filters and crush or compromise them and send dirty oil straight through them.

The best way to pull oil through filters is probably a gear pump. Operating in a vacuum, it is not likely that you'll damage the filters with force. You may have to thin your oil a bit before pulling it through the filters.

A modified small block chevy oil pump is an excellent choice for transferring and pull filtering.

The burner/furnace pumps that I am familiar with are too light for serious oil work.

Tim

dstang97

I think I will get the one from harbor freight that fits the Drum
Air Operated Oil Pump with Suction Pipe

With a oil drum heater and a 3 filter filter rack and be done with it. I will be doing it in small doses anyway. at most 10 gallons at a time. ( I have a company truck) so I do not use that much fuel. (personal use)

Josh

Thats the pump I use. I dont even have to heat the oil, It will push the oil through 3 filters even when its 40deg outside. I use it move my bad gas, diesel, Anything thats flamable ive used the pump to transfer. Have had no issues so far.

It is thirsty for air though, I can move about 6-10 gallons with my 26gallon airtank @ 165psi. My 6cuft /min compresser cant keep up with the pump. Im still looking for a nice 220 compresser.

Last edited:

dstang97

What do you mean 30 for air? air temp?

Will a sears Crapsman 30 gal 150psi work for the pump or will i be waisting my time?

Josh

Oh it will will work for the oil pump, It just needs like 10cuft a minute @ 90psi to keep at full power. I normally do 5 gallon bursts with mine and let the compressor cycle off before starting the next batch. It takes me less then a minute to fill a 5 gallon can.

goldwing2000

Banned
I think he meant "thirsty" for air. As in is has a high consumption rate. My 220v 5hp conpressor consumes a lot of electricity to use it for pumping oil. Plus wear and tear on the unit itself.

I use a $40 harbor freight water pump and it warks great on the pressure side. Not so great on the suction side but I'm looking at redesigning my plumbing to see if I can get it to suck better. ;)

Josh

I think he meant "thirsty" for air. As in is has a high consumption rate.

I use a $40 harbor freight water pump and it warks great on the pressure side. Not so great on the suction side but I'm looking at redesigning my plumbing to see if I can get it to suck better. ;)

Your right, My bad on the typo, I fixed it [thumbzup]

Josh

Been a long day, I picked up 300 gallons of oil and 165gallons of stale gasoline. The forklift died after unloaded the first drum. Took a little elbow grease to get the rest off.

goldwing2000

Banned
I feel your pain. I picked up 300 gallons last weekend and just got it all unloaded today. After trying two different pumps, I ended up taking a rain gutter downspout off my house and using gravity to transfer it off the truck! Made a little mess but it's done and I don't have to drive the car to work anymore. I should have taken a picture..

dstang97

I see you only have one filter. Do you pre-filter before that tank? Is the return to relieve some of the pressure?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks to me like he can use the same pump to circulate the fuel through the filter, or pump it into his fuel tank.

goldwing2000

Banned
I see you only have one filter. Do you pre-filter before that tank? Is the return to relieve some of the pressure?
Umm... there are actually two filters in that picture. :cookoo:
See re-attached and labeled picture.
Since that picture was taken, I've actually added a third filter strictly for water separation

Looks to me like he can use the same pump to circulate the fuel through the filter, or pump it into his fuel tank.
More or less correct.

Filter #1 is on the suction side of the pump and filters the oil as it is drawn in and pumped into the tank. It's a 33 Micron filter and can be used as a multi-pass filter by recirculating the oil indefinitely. I set it up that way to try to keep big particles out of the pump but I don't think that's necessary if I just screen the oil before it gets sucked up.
Filter #2 is 10 micron and is single-pass as the oil goes out to the vehicle.
Filter #3 (not pictured) is 15 micron and is only being used a water separator and to maybe catch any big chunks that make it through the 10 micron.

I'm having problems keeping the pump primed when I'm sucking oil into the system, so the current plan is to redesign the system so all filters are on the pressure side but still with the recirc system between filters 1 & 2.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks