• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WND-7-28 PTO rebuild

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have rebuild kit NSN 2520-00-692-6187, but when I checked in
the 34-2-3 TM on page 844 [17-828] it shows 6 oil seals and the kit only has 5.
It has the input and output shaft seals and 3 other smaller seals the same size.

Any idea of what I am missing? I really don't want to tear into this without all the
parts on hand.

Thanks,
Bruce

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't this PTO basicly the same as the deuce PTO? If so, the smaller seals are for the shift shaft. I don't understand what you're calling the "input shaft seal". The input is sealed by a gasket where it mounts to the trasmission. Are you talking about the accessory drive output?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes 5 seals in total: One for each output shaft, two for front shift shaft, one for rear accessory shift shaft.

G.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, Yes, my bad, I meant the two output shafts.
Any idea why the manual calls out 6 seals? No big deal,
I am very happy to hear it is only 5!
About how long does it take for mid level mechanic to tear it
down and put it back together?
I really appreciate all the help you all give!!!!
Bruce

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know.... being this is your first one, probably half a day?

Most certainly you already did your search homework....? like reading this one: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?28463-pto-rebuild.html
... if not, I would strongly recommend doing so; among other good info it tells you how to avoid destructing parts during tear down.... ;)

G.

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks G. I did look at that thread and I will be studying thouroughly before starting.
I saw enough pictures of the carnage to be on my toes. Also thanks for posting the pic of the mounting studs.
When I go to mount it I don't really want to drop the transmission to do it. I am no longer 18 and full of pizz. Am I in for a lot of trouble?
Thanks,
Bruce

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally I have no experience with installing these in 5tons. Possibly easier due to more work space between tranny and frame on the right side?

Trouble.....? Just keep in mind that the backlash needs to be checked and adjusted by selecting the correct gasket thickness. If you are real lucky you don't have to take it back off again....:smile:

G.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been carefully reading the manual 34-2-3 carefully in preperation to the rebuild, and I noticed that they called out
cap screws instead of studs when reinstalling the PTO. Any thoughts on this?
Bruce

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Minimum acceptable lenght for (any type) hex cap screws there, with the spring washer, is 7/8".
Try them on - you will see they will fit only in the 12-, 2- and eventually the 4- o'clock position... and in one of them you could barely get a 5/8" long bolt in....

So better to use the correct lenght STUDS, if you don't want ending up with stripped threads out of the threaded holes in the tranny!

Also, for reference, if you look up the Duece transmission parts book TM 9-2520-246-34P, fig.12, #37 shows 6 of them, 7538668 STUD,PLAIN:pOWER TAKE-OFF MOUNTING

If they call for cap screws there, that sure is a mistake!

G.

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"If they call for cap screws there, that sure is a mistake!"

Thanks G, I figured that might be a mistake.
I am just being cautious. I really don't want to do this twice!
Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks