• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

won't start

jag7720

M1009 12 volt system - won't start. I've had it for about a year and only had issues when I park on a hill with the nose up.

I installed an electric fuel pump (brand new) to solve the "hill parking" issue

I pulled the fuel line from the output of the filter and activated the pump... I have fuel supply.

No start

I loosened the injector lines at the injectors and cranked the engine until they seeped. So I have fuel to the injectors.

No start

I have a manual glow plug button... no controller
I pulled the glow plugs... they were wet (see image)

I tested the glow plugs cold - 1.6 ohms

I bought new plug (haven't installed them yet) I tested them 1.0 ohms

I tested the by touching the lead connector and the threads of the plug.

I put a test light on the glow plug wire... it lights up.

Am I missing something? I don't want to put the new plugs in if the old ones are fine.

How do I get this thing to start?

Attachments

JAsher45

what is the PSI of your electric fuel pump. should be regulated at 4-6 PSI if it is to high is will cause the fuel to seep pass the head and rotor inside the injection pump. We use an electric pump to prime the 6.5's at work on the Dyno. every once in a while we will get one that will not start after being cranked a few times. if we shut the pump off the engine will start. our electric pump is set at 10 psi... and yes when the engine starts with the electric pump on you will hear all the injectors chatter til the pump is turned off.

jag7720

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fr_pumps.html FRB-5 8-11 psi

Ok, I didn't and still don't know where all the timing marks are so I didn't try that...It was dark and raining and I was lazy.... so I went ahead and put the new glow plugs in. I figured... what the hell, at least I'll have new ones.

Then I tested it... same issue. So I thought, "I'll put the test light in one of the connectors while it is ON the glow plug and push my glow button." So I did this and the light didn't come on. I pushed the button on and off real fast and the light would flicker.... then I got it to stay on........

Well, it fired right up. So, $70 later, I find that my glow button is flaky. In the meantime.

Live and learn...

mangus580

Did you actually power up each old glow plug to test it? Just reading with a meter isnt good enough, make sure they are making heat. I am willing to bet most of your old glow plugs are bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks