• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wont Start

WackoJacko85

Wont Start, but now is in the shop.

So, I have a M1009. It died after sitting in southern California for two weeks. I drove it to my buddies parked and now it wont start. I've done several things to get it going. Ive cranked and cranked on it and all i get is white smoke out of it. I started seeing oil in the anti-freeze back in Aug. After i busted a heater core hose and lost most of the anti-freeze on the way home. It still ran fine from then on until this last thanksgiving. I've Unplugged the glow-plugs and used starting fluid. I have tossed in new group 31 batteries. When i did all this i still just get white smoke. I have opened the bleeding plug on the filter to see if i was getting fuel and there was plenty there. So here I am. No money and not sure what way to go. I'm wondering if my head and block are shot or do i need to pull the heads off and stop being lazy. And here's how it looks now. because
nopics
So, what I'm asking after that novel is there anything else i should check before i pull off the heads.
Thanks again

There should be pics added as the shop gives them to me but I "told them to take there time..."

Attachments

Last edited:

mistaken1

White smoke tells me it is getting fuel.

If the starter is going bad and will not spin the motor fast enough it will not start.

A fully functioning glow plug system would help the starting process.

I hear tell that once a diesel gets on the ether habit it will never get off.

Sorry I cannot be more help, we need to wait for others with more knowledge/experience to chime in.

Did you follow the troubleshooting step in the -20 TM?

WackoJacko85

Code:
If the starter is going bad and will not spin the motor fast enough it will not start.
I think the starter is spinning fast enough. it sounds like its turning the motor fast enough.

Code:
A fully functioning glow plug system would help the starting process.
I'm pretty sure that mine is not fully functioning since there was no change when i had the glow plugs being plugged in vs. unplugged

Code:
 I hear tell that once a diesel gets on the ether habit it will never get off.
It wont even start with the starting fluid. it just keeps pouring out white smoke.

Code:
Did you follow the troubleshooting step in the -20 TM?
I have not followed the trobleshooting step in -20tm. I will look that up and follow it and go from there and keep everyone updated

WackoJacko85

Quick update: I finally got my truck up a buddies house who has some tools I could use. My plan today was to just pull off the heads and see whats going on. I only got to the intake. When I pulled the 1st bolt on the intake passenger side i found white/green dried baked on powder, Also more of the same stuff in the bolt hole. Upon further inspection I noticed my passenger side crossover pipe in front of my intake and it has dried green powder all around it. I so i'm guessing that is where my crack is. On top of that my radiator has oil in it and my oil had antifreeze in it.

The plan now... I'm not sure I have no money so I may get rid of it. I may keep it and throw a new motor in it.
As of right now if i put a new/used motor into it I'll need new motor mounts, Power steering/ hydroboost lines. New glow plugs, and while I'm at it a new engine harness. I have two weeks to think this one out. I will post another update when I decide what I will do with my M1009.

pigfoot63

Have you done a pressure check on the engine. Have you performed a compression check.
These are just a couple of steps that need to be done before you start taking things apart.

colelkhunter

I agree with this advice. Before you start talking motor swap, you may only have a leaky head gasket. Head gaskets are cheap compared to a new motor swap. Plus it can be done in the truck in an afternoon. Check the compression. If it looks good on all cylinders, snatch the heads off and replace the gaskets.

WackoJacko85

Well... I'm dumb I didn't even think of that... I only have a few bolts out. I will see if I can get a compression tester and test it out before I leave.

WackoJacko85

Update...

The things I've done over the last year plus...

1. Towed it 4 different times
2. Removed Old motor
3. Installed "new motor" into the truck
a. My buddy bought it from a guy who said it was a CUCV motor that he put into his suburban and it had a turbo mounted ( don't know if it's any good)
b. I haven't took the other motor apart yet until my same buddy wants to take the parts off to put on his motor.
c. I never finished the motor swap. It still needed:
Ground the starter
front bumper
Radiator Clamps and rubber
Adding in fuel
Bleeding Fuel
Re-tune IP
New Glow-plugs
Pray the transmission works... (One of the tow truck drivers decided he could pull my truck onto the flatbed tow truck in park)

So I took it in... I haven't really had the time nor the money to fix it. Now I'm moving to the Central Valley of California. So, I just said screw it, I just want it to run. I also finally got a service dog and it makes it hard to work on my truck anymore without my own place/ Garage. Hopefully it won't cost me an arm or a leg to get it running. I will most likely just sale my truck once its fixed and running.

The two pics attached are
The 1st night it was towed when it wouldn't start...

And then... What it looked like when I took it into the shop today. I decided to take my truck to The Diesel Shop The Diesel Shop

They seem to be a pretty good shop.

Attachments

det rebel

wow got to love tow truck drivers lol now only if it was standard and manual fuel pump that tow truck driver would learn from his mistake real quick :-Drofl

WackoJacko85

Sorry, Turbo has been taken by my buddy, but ill ask him tomorrow how much. I wish it was standard and it has a mechanical fuel pump lol... maybe I should throw in a SM456-NP205... hummmm...
Oh, on another note, I found some pics from the motor swap I did...
Please note the white bucket pic... that was drained from the radiator

Attachments

Last edited:

det rebel

if you got the trans and have chanced one to standard and have a standard parts truck it will cost you about 500 if you got some spear parts laying around

WackoJacko85

I don't have any of the parts, I sadly can't drive stick more than an hour due to leg pain. Ill throw up a pic up of it all. The plan off attack with the shop. Is to get it running and driving. Then put it up for sale, after that while I'm waiting for it to get sold I'll slowly fix things on it.

Attachments

WackoJacko85

No... I was the one at fault for this crash, I came into that corner way too hot, and grabbed too much from brake (instead of counter steering) and went straight into the guardrail and down the ravine.... That was back in June. they only put in 18 stitches on a 10" gash... so, I hope to have my surgery done before spring.

det rebel

i have a question for you have you ever thought of a hydraulic slave cylinder upgrade they are out there kinda hard to find but it takes only about have the strength

det rebel

my buddy found one and put it in a ol 79 chevy with a 6.2 out of an mv and was throwing a 12" button clutch first time i pushed in the clutch i slamed it to the floor cause it went so easy

mistaken1

It has been a while since I have been on my bike (mountain) but I can relate.

There was the time I was still new to the clip in pedals. I started up a very steep and rather long hill (just a narrow dirt trail). About 2/3 of the way up I ran out of gas and could go no farther, I came to a stop and started rolling backwards. I grabbed the brakes and tried to put my feet down but forgot the 'twist' to get un-clipped. My chest came down hard on the bar end, left a nasty pie plate sized black and purple bruise. Thank God for those bar extensions, I hate think what could have happened without them.

That was not the first time I fell over with my feet stuck to the pedals but it was the last! :)

I wish you a speedy recovery.