• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wooden shipping crate

I want to build a box appr. 4 by 5 ft for the permanent storage of things to take along on trips in the bed of the deuce. It will be constructed out of wood and should look like an typical, original shipping crate or box of some equipment.
I'm on the search of pictures now, expecially for typical markings on the crates, to get that original look. Also, were they bare wood or painted by the end of the sixties? Any out there?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

steelandcanvas

Mark, I'd really likre to help you out with this. One of our Club memebers (who I think is a WWII reenactor) had a variety of boxes in his 1/4 ton jeep trailer. I talked to him yesterday about the stenciling on the boxes but not the sizing or configuration. He told me he had purchased stencils from Rick Larsen and some other fellow in the U.K. Everything was extremely realistic, if not original. I'll keep an eye peeled for some frieght boxes. I think Larsen has oilboard stencils of C Rat markings, go to his site and see for sure.

John

Thanks guys. The size of the box will be dictated by the things it will have to hold, but the stencils should look original with the right sizing and nomenclature, so I'll appreciate any photo or descripition of it! Most of the crates I saw were also unpainted, so that's the way it willl look like.

Capt.Marion

I saw a wooden box at an Air Show at Warner Robins AFB and it had all the markings on it. No pictures, but they are out there. So just keep your eyes peeled.

FrankUSMC

All the crates at the Marine base I work on are not painted. We throw away hundreds every month, the crates we deep six are the crates the parts are shipped back to us in. We have a shop that builds news ones for the parts after they are rebuilt.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET