• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Work in progress

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man, that truck is going to be beautiful! So was the first healight configuration a non-stock change by the previous owner? I like the way you have it now. Is that semi-gloss OD?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, regarding the mounting of the lights, there are several variations out there caused by the bumper extension for the winch.

For some reason the BO light was the first to be moved up and to the side. Originally it was installed inboard of the headlight and probably met the spec with or without the bumper extension, but it was moved up on a support , first above the headlight and later above the marker light.

Apparently the foam filled extension with an aluminum deck caused a reflection from the headlights and the headlights were moved to a pod on top of the bumper with the BO light following along and was then mounted on top of that pod (my pod has a footprint left from the BO light fixture).

The truck tractor doesn't swim, so the foam filled extension isn't needed. I removed the deck and put the lights back in their original location, never liked bumper mounted headlights anyway. The BO light will serve its function in that location from what I have learned from posts in other threads, no need to keep it higher.
The images show some different configurations.

The paint is Semi Gloss OD (Aervoe 24084, 997B).

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, you gonna put the guard back in front of the lights?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, with the bumper so far forward I don't think I need the "guard". I'm leaving it off for now.

Jon, I'm working on a dozen different things at the same time and rather clean up the parts before putting them back on. It's sitting on blocks now, which makes it easy to work on details otherwise covered by the wheels. Both fuel tanks (not originals) are in the garage being modified for heating/bio fuels. I'm finishing a mounting bracket for the new heated Racor primary fuel filter.

You know how it is when you move into a house before it's finished, it never gets finished, you just adjust to it. Same thing here, if I start driving it, the little things will never get done, besides, I enjoy the heck out of working on this "high tech" vehicle. :)

Of course, I'm anxious to drive it too, should be a blast to "float" over the rough terrain with the two bogie suspension without the twisting of the frame as experienced with the deuce. The truck is supposed to be able to handle a verticle step almost 30 inches high also and I wont have to worry about repacking bearings after driving in water or mud. Low low CG gives it a 40% side slope capability and with the axle spacing it can clear a hump or birm that a HMMWV would get hung up on.
With 200hp and only 16,000lb it should be a performer. A six speed automatic...... Me excited? No way.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The truck tractor doesn't swim, so the foam filled extension isn't needed. I removed the deck and put the lights back in their original location, never liked bumper mounted headlights anyway.
OK, that makes sense Bjorn. It looks good like you have it without the brush-guard too.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm waiting for a new torque rod, the lower left front one has a torn rubber bushing. With it installed, I can align the front wheels (all four of them :)) and finish off the front part of the vehicle.
Should have a functional fuel system within a week or so....

Amber and OD go well together, don't you think?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks