• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would fiber optics work?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just installed a piece of angle on the back of my deuce for mounting the rear license plate.

Now for the "required" white light that must illuminate the plate!

I know I can just, "wire something up," but I'm thinking about a short piece of fiber optic that would transfer the light from the already glowing light-bulb inside the tail-light assembly.

Is there such cable available? If so, where? And, would the amount of light suffice? I would expect it should install neat and clean. I'm trying to simplify something that looks as good as it works.

Elwenil

You can even use acrylic rods to do the same. You lightly heat them to bend them into the desired shape. then paint them, or cover them with shrinkwrap to prevent the whole tube from glowing. They should be available at larger hobby supply stores.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also make light guide out of plastic tubing, flexible or semi-rigid, filled with mineral oil, then capped with plugs of the acrylic you are talking about.
The plugs just have to be polished on both ends to let the light thru. The interface between the plastic tubing and the mineral oil is perfect for total internal reflection.
If you choose black plastic tubing you wont need the heat shrink cladding. It is a lot more flexible and forgiving than acrylic. I used it as fiber optic to couple detectors, it moves a large amounts of light.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Optics

Pick up a cheap Harbor Frieght LED flashlight and mount it show it shows on the plate. Turn it on at night and off during the day. LEO's like brightly lit plates