• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman finds a pontoon bridge

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well...actually it is just half of one pontoon. I was driving down one of my shortcut roads and they had cleared some brush off the shoulder.

Through a gap I saw what I thought was a DUKW up against a barn.

Knowing SS member Clinto's ga........errrrrr....fondness for the aquatic deuce and a half I stopped to check it out.

Turns out the item in question is half of a float from an WWII era pontoon bridge.

The old gent that owns it has had it over fourty years.

He even has the original Evenrude outboard motor that was used to move it around and postion it.

It was designed to be hooked back to back with its twin pontoon and then a deck was spanned across several of them to make a floating bridge.

The owner had made a boat out of it at one time and it has been sitting in its present location for a couple of years.

The pontoon and the outboard motor are for sale. Bear in mind that it is solid aluminum so it will sell high for scrap.

If anyone is interested you can PM me for details.

Attachments

Sirblissfull

Ohh the possibilities.

Thats what about 4 foot deep 8 foot wide and 25-30 foot long?

Just what I want in a boat and durable. Wife would veto that purchase she wants something wooden.

1crook

Thanks for confirming that it was indeed not a DUKW Wreckerman. I am so glad that it was not a DUKW for now. All I hear anymore is I need a DUKW, I need a Wrecker, etc...... aua Clinto needs to pick less expensive toys!!!

phil2968

I would love to make that old outboard run again! Buy it WM, bring the outboard to the Ga Rally and we'll fix'er up. Oh yah, bring a barrel to run it in.:drool:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there a few people out there that have a cckw bolster truck and trailer, that pontoon would be like a gift from heaven, post it on g-503, and the cckw web site

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well......had I not sold the M915 yesterday (and having a bad case of sellers remorse today) I could prob had put it on the bolster trailer and hooked it behind the van.

I will try to post it on other sites. If someone wants to copy the photos and post them feel free.

My thinking is that since they were made out of aluminum very few escaped the smelter.

There is a data plate that says when it was made and by who (wrote this info down but dont have it right here).

The owner told me that when he bought it there were several at the site....he thinks they may have come from an ALA Nat Guard bridge unit that was located near here.

An interesting note is that there are hand holds along both sides and the pontoon could be picked up by a platoon of soldiers and moved. I guess they were some big old boys in that unit.

I may go by tomorrow and see if I can get a bottom line price. I think the original Evinrude motor is prob worth some bucks.

I don't need another project.auaauaaua

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The old boy that owns her said she made a very respectable boat with two outboard motors hanging over the rear.

His property is on the Coosa river and he said he kept it in the water until the crackheads kept stealing the motors off it.

Some of the steering cables are still attached and you can see the canopy frame he had on it.

It is too cool but I DONT NEED ANOTHER PROJECTauaauaaua

goldneagle

thanks for confirming that it was indeed not a dukw wreckerman. I am so glad that it was not a dukw for now. All i hear anymore is i need a dukw, i need a wrecker, etc...... Aua clinto needs to pick less expensive toys!!!
clinto needs to pick an engagement ring!