• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTH, Found a tank today.

68t

Pictures The tank on the bottom with blade , these were the ones and other that was give away. I wanted one for our VFW but they were to lazy to build a pad to set it on. The other tanks were in Holland and Germany. Just waiting on the commie ruskin,s

Attachments

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would never advocate midnight requisitioning of government property. However, a fine example of American iron, just sitting there, gives a potential for a display in a small piece of land. Somebody owns the land but they don’t seem to care what’s done with it. Someone owns the tank but they don’t seem to care what it looks like. So, possibly, you have an opportunity to beautify an eyesore, create a tribute to Veterans and a nice place to sit back and watch the squirrels play. Just a thought...
I wonder what the serial number for the tank is?
Take Cold Warrior's suggestion, our organization does alot with doing restorations of thye local "cannon in the park' kind of stuff for local communities as a public outreach program. (many don't realize when they sign for the item they signed to maintain it in a manner to which it will not bring discredit upon the military) we donate equipment use and man hours and try to secure donations to help with paint, sandblasting materials etc. It helps the community out. But the folks at TACOM's Historic Relics Section (Tank and Automotive Command) in Warren Michigan take their jobs seriously. There was an old veterans post that went out of business and the M-42 "Duster" in their yard was 'sold' to a scrap dealer. Yeah right, its now outside another Veterans post in another county and the 'scrapper' was left holding the bag. You really don't want to even accidentally cross swords with them.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not abandoned. The government put them there and they are in US waters.
They were 'disposed of' as excess material and the decision to "REEF" them was made. Its easier for the local Guard and Reserve units to pull or purge oil sumps and fuel bladders/tanks and then dump them in the ocean in groups with the site predetermined to make optimum use of the structure created to increase tourism and or fish habitat than it is to excess them or hire a 'scrapper' to cut them on site before releasing the "resedue" as they've tried in the past. Once dumped they become the property of the state and county they were "Reefed" in. The military actually removes little from them as the first 24 hours in salt water effectively 'demil' the electronics and electrical systems.

js0276

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,
I've got the low down on this M60 TANK
It is setting on the grounds of:
Lincoln Sheet Metal & Roofing Co.
602 Center St.
Ruston, LA. 71270
business phone 318-255-3196
It belongs to the city of Ruston/Louisiana Military Museum and they have plans to display it when the facility is built in place of where the old VFW sits now awaiting for them to complete the grounds.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well,
602 Center St.
Ruston, LA. 71270
It belongs to the city of Ruston/Louisiana Military Museum and they have plans to display it when the facility is built in place of where the old VFW sits now awaiting for them to complete the grounds.
Good News to hear that the M60 has a purpose and an intended new home!

shootER

Well,
602 Center St.
Ruston, LA. 71270
Yep. It's behind the building there.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep. It's behind the building there.
Pretty amazing how satellites do their work.

Apparently there is nothing of any real significance in that particular area as it passes over.
There are places in the mapping software (available to us) that you can see people.
Not especially faces or actually determining man vs woman, but much closer detail.
OR the viewer in my particular case is less sensitive here.

Still, pretty darn cool that it can be spotted!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks