• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW II Command Car Radio Genset

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,

I think I have a small generator that fit in the trunk of the WW II Command Car to run the radios. It is a very small, light weight generator.

Does anyone here know what I should look for to identify this gen-set? I will try to take some pics tomorrow when I can get at it to take it out of its storage box (plywood case).

I don't know if people on this forum deal with much stuff that is this old. It looks to be in good shape (paint is clean and correct, bits and pieces of decals still on the unit, NOT covered in grease and dirt, etc. If someone could perhaps point me in the direction for information on old stuff.........

Thanks,

Storm 51

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it look like this? Power supply for the GRC 9 radio. It was used for dismounted radio operation.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help, NDT!

Yes, I believe that is the one. I'll know for sure later today, but that sure looks like it.

I also found one other one, but it is heavy! I think the whole thing is made out of cast iron. I'll post pictures of it too. It is a 100amp 24vdc gen set with a meter but it is small also; just incredibly heavy.

Thanks again for the help!

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, digging through stuff I found two generators and a battery charger. I've posted pics below.

The small lightweight generator is a Signal Corp GN-51-B dated 1944. The attached lube order has George Marshall's signature.

The little VERY Heavy generator does not have any military markings or data plates that I can find, but it is a 24VDC 100 Amp generator. I've attached pics of it below also. it is completely black. I sure would like to know what it is.

The third item is a "Battery Charger" (at least that is what it has been used for in the past). It apparently is Canadian manufacture and I've included pics of the data plate. It is a Power Supply, Metallic CPP-2. Any information about this would be appreciated.

Thanks for any and all help with these!

Storm 51

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that my M-37 / 42 and M101A1 trailer are almost complete I'm starting to look for one. Having a WW II generator is as good as any other excuse for wanting one. :D

Storm 51

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an old WWII generator that looks a lot like the 2 cylinder one that was posted above. I would bet it is the same engine, but mine is 120 volt at 400 cycles. I made a thread a while back about it, but i forget what the model and specs are of it now. They are cool gensets!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The little WW II generator is probably going to be looking for a new home. I really don't have any use for it. I like to trade way it and the big heavy black one I think for a 100 amp 24-28VDC gas generator that is not quite so heavy and old. The battery charger will probably stay for awhile, at least until I can find out what it is really meant for.

Storm 51

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks