• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wWhat does the term "yellow metal" mean?

recon

I'm putting a winch on a non-winch Deuce and found a post that said 80w-90 gear oil should be used to fill the transmission and the oil should be yellow metal compatible. Can someone tell me what "yellow metal" is? How can I tell if the oil is compatible?

DeuceNewbie

are all gl-5 oils yellow metal compatible? isnt this the same oil used in all 3 axles and the transmission? anyone know where a good buy is?

Last edited:

Westex

No, no no, All GL-5 Gear oils are NOT compatible with your Deuce. It must be rated MT-1 on the bottle, or else you risk problems. I order NAPA part number 65205; it is GL-1 rated and was designed for your truck. Get the big pumper and and at least 1 five gallon pail of this stuff and you'll be happy. But wait, there's more. To fill ALL your diffs, transfer case and tranny, you'll need 2 (TWO) five gallon pails. Point is they are much cheaper by the 5 gallon bucket at NAPA, about thirty something bucks each.

Stalwart

A local Shell distributor always has GL-1 140 that I use in Stalwart suspension, the 140 leaks out slower than 90.

Snarky

I put some o'reillys GL-5 in my deuce because the tranny was a bit low, it ate up my syncros, when I drained the oil it was full of brass metal filings. I bought GL-1 from tractor supply and it cured most of my terrible noises, it pretty hard to downshift though. Any place that sells stuff for old ford tractors should have GL-1 or pure mineral oil, it's the additives that get you.

Remember, always RTFM!

CGarbee

If you do a search, you'll find multiple threads on GL-5, GL-5/MT-1, and GL-1 oils...

Spicer actually recomends 50wt for the transmission. Your TM says 90wt for diffs, transmission, transfer, winch as it works in all and allows for single sourcing.

GL-1 meets the specifications for the units.
GL-5 is designed for hypoid gears with greater pressures, but works just fine (cost more per gallon though) as long as you get a version with the MT-1 certification. The only way to be totally sure if it does meet MT-1 is either to see the cert on the container, or have the tech info from the manufacturer (and make sure that it is for that exact product/lot as things change...and technicalities count).

In my area, Agri-Supply is the least expensive, Tractor Supply comes in close. Walmart/Sam's Club isn't bad when you catch it on sale. Napa/Carquest/O'Rielly's are higher with NAPa being the most expensive. Best deal of all is to buy in bulk directly from a distributor... :)

Heavier weight oils can be used, but you increase internal wear and reduce economy due to the extra force needed to rotate parts in a more viscous environment. Multi-weights are fine as well, but are more expensive than the single weights (at least in my area where we have a lot of folks running agg equipment and/or older construction/stationairy, etc. that uses older single weight lubricants and, thus, ensure a ready supply on the shelves).

stumps

There are 5 different groups of oils: Group A = motor oil, Group B = General Purpose, Group C = Gear Oils, Group D = Turbine Oils, Group E = Aviation (turbojet), and Group F = Aviation (Reciprocating).

Those that we commonly know as SAE weight oils are Group A and Group C, engine and gear oils.

Group A engine oils have SAE numbers ranging from 0W to 50, and Group C gear oils have SAE numbers ranging from 75 to 250.

The funny part is the viscosities between engine oils and gear oils overlap! Here is a table that shows this:

Engine Oils (viscosity 100F/210F in centistokes)
SAE 10W 41/6.0
SAE 20W 71/8.5
SAE 30 114/11.2
SAE 40 173/14.5
SAE 50 270/19.5

Gear Oils (viscosity 100F/210F in centistokes)
SAE 75 47/7.0
SAE 80 69/8.5
SAE 90 285/20.5
SAE 140 725/34.0
SAE 250 1220/47.0

Notice that SAE 75 gear oil is almost exactly the same viscosity as 10W engine oil, SAE 80 is almost exactly the same as 20W engine oil, and SAE 90 jumps up to the same as SAE 50 engine oil.

Since there are no duplicate SAE designations between engine and gear oils, Spicer is recommending an engine oil in their transmission, and that oil is the same viscosity as SAE 90 gear oil.

-Chuck

(I noticed Stalwart's article after I submitted mine...)

Last edited: