• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X-doors with soft-top, idiosyncrasies

I recently installed matching tan X-doors. Made strikers on my CNC plasma table, EXACT match to ones I borrowed, 9/16" round bar...
The question is about fitment, it seems that the soft-top doesn't allow the doors to latch completely. the latches catch the strikers but only as far as the first click.
is that normal? I can get the front door to the second click if I push hard.

Also, there are gaps where the rounded top corners of the rear doors don't cover the 90degree opening made by the meeting of the center column and soft top.
Am I missing any parts? The gaps are big enough for large insects to fly in.
My guess it that these are the compromises of having X-doors with a soft-top?
Or maybe strikers for soft-tops with x-doors are spaced out further?

dilvoy

You have to shim the door latch away from the door to make it easier to close your doors to the second click. Most people unknowingly drive around with the doors only on the first click of the latches.

Thanks dilvoy!
How much did you shim? More than an eighth inch?
What material did you use? I'm thinking of using aluminum.
Any pics?

dilvoy

Just Look at what is between the latch and the door material. It is the plate that is always there. It is steel, but some have added shims. They are the same shape. I have seen them be about twice as thick as the first plate. I have cut them out of aluminum when I needed some.

Gear Report

You have to shim the door latch away from the door to make it easier to close your doors to the second click. Most people unknowingly drive around with the doors only on the first click of the latches.
Pictures?
I've read this 20 times and can't wrap my head around what "shim the door latch away from the door" means. I'm sure it is a simple concept... but I can't visualize it. :(

Gear Report

Picture the latch on the interior of the door - items 21 and 22 from figure 280 of tech manualTM 9-2320-280-24P-1
OHHHHH! Right! Ok. Thanks. I was thinking of a shim behind the striker and couldn't figure out how that would help (because it wouldn't). I get it now. thanks!

samuraicrawler

I have the same problem with my x-doors. I was thinking about making something to go in that open space to keep water out. If you come up with anything let me know.

parklandtrans

As far as your open gap on the B pillar to X door contact, I think there is a B-Pillar piece that attaches directly to the B-Pillar and it is used on the hard top configuration...but can be used with soft top and I'm pretty sure it takes care of the gap in question. I hope so because I'm doing the same thing right now on my SOFT top for exactly the same reason...!!
i will keep you posted once they get here and I install and see if money well spent or wasted..!!
Bob "The Trans Man"

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The close out panel used on the slantback won't fit onto the B-pillar of a soft top. Just suck it up fellas.
A little water never hurt anyone...I drive these truck everyday, just know when you make that first right turn to make it sharp and lean right...LOL.

parklandtrans

Warhorse,
You are 100% correct...I totally forgot the upper half of b pillar is different on soft top compared to hard top. Anybody need any b pillar filler panels..??...cheap price..!!!
Also I'll remember to lean to the right on the turns as well..!!
Bob " Trans Man"