• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X doors

TankboyTV

Can someone tell me the difference between the X doors and the flat ones? Mine has the flat doors, but everyone seems to be after the X doors.

Not sure if I should change mine.

Thanks

BLK HMMWV

x doors

Tankboy
Look at your doors from the inside. With the window slid all the way up in the closed position
Do you see what looks like an X .
You probably have the second gen doors.
They rivited a 1/8 th thick piece of metal on the outside of the X door.

It was the first attempt in up armoring them
BH

BLK HMMWV

I believe the X doors were supposed to be Kevlar.
They wouldn't stop much. So they started skinning them on the outside with a thin metal skin.. but you can still see the X from the inside.
What a difference they have made in 25 years

I had a chance to get inside of a new HMMWV a few weeks back.
It was a 2 man with a solid back cab. I think it was a set up to be used to carry Jamming equipt.
It had less than 200 miles on it
The doors were close to 3" thick and the glass was close to 4" thick and slid sideways on the outside of the door. everything was padded inside.When I buttoned it up I felt very confined and trapped. That was without any of it's electronics gear inside it or any of the crews normal load of gear.
I noticed what looked like a halon fire suppresion system mounted in it. That made me think . I can only imagine trying to evac from one on it's side , under water or in an emergency.

BH