• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XL's on my deuce!

shootiniron

Just thought I'd share a few pics of the new skins.Spent most of Sat. last weekend putting those on.The truck had near new Goodyear G286's in 11.00-20's,these are the Michelin 14.50-20's.Was quite a chore changing them out with just a tire hammer,a few bars and a couple blocks of wood to set them on,but quite worth the effort I think.It runs out great with these and the ride improved too.Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

baxter

I thought you had to use different rims how dpes it track and where did you get your tires and hw much. Could you show some pics from the rear .

Thanks Vaughn

baxter

I have a question about how you mounted your spare. A buddy of mine has the 14.50 x20's and the spare wont fit so any advice or even some pics would be great.

Vaughn

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question about how you mounted your spare. A buddy of mine has the 14.50 x20's and the spare wont fit so any advice or even some pics would be great.

Vaughn
That tire size fits well but it depends on the wheels "frontspace" what you have to do with the carrier.
Take a look at the pics for some ideas....

G.

Attachments

shootiniron

I got the tires from Mark Riddle(100 dollar man) and he was more than fair about the price.I dont know if he's got any more now,you can call him at 760-248-6214.As was posted earlier,the spare fit where it should with no probs. other than lifting it up in there.Had to use a floor jack as my IR 3/4 drive impact would'nt touch it.I'll get a pic or two of that as well as from the rear when I get home from work later.

baxter

Thanks for the help guys I will show those pics to my friend. I know his wheels came from Boyce and they were made to set out a little wider but I do like the look with the stock rims.

Vaughn

BimmerPower

Banned
Very nice. Do you know the exact dimensions of the tire? What size is the OEM wheel? I"m looking to do the same but want to make sure I get the right tires first :idea:

TenTires

That thread is not 100% accurate though. I believe it is you Dan Martin that states that 14.5's will not run on stock tires. Not true. I bought my truck this way and they work perfectly fine.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry , we are drifting off topic now......... but let me just respond following to TenTires post above:

Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop, Semperit, Alliance and all others must be wrong then to specify 11x20" wheels for their 14.5R20s....!?

No one said the 14.5XL (tubeless radial MPT type) can't be mounted or run on std. 7.5x20" industrial wheels.... you simply shouldn’t !!! (Same case for the 12.5R20s, also being MPT BTW. At least in the EU doing so is strictly forbidden!)

In that referred thread I tried to visualize what happens with the tire bead forced against a flange that is 1.5times taller. Some of these tires will "tolerate" the difference, others absolutely NOT!

I invite you to learn more about MPT wheels and tires in the attached PDF brochure. Many years ago it sure helped me a lot!

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

DanMartin

Gringeltaube is very informed on these sorts of things, I would listen to him.

I was not trying to start controversy. The post directly before mine asked if anyone new the dimensions of the XL tires, and I was posting a link to the thread where that was discussed. I even pointed out the very post that linked to the XL datasheet....

I still think it's a bad idea to run those tires like that...but it's your truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks