• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 design features

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M656 series 5-ton trucks may be few and far between, but it is interesting to note some of the design features of these vehicles. They were designed to mil spec from the ground up.
I'll list features as I go along and "discover" them on the XM757.

Here is one such feature, there is a separate belt with tensioner for the fan so that it will slip when the truck is fording/swimming without effecting the compressor and alternator functions.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's military for you! The simplest "clutch" fan = dedicated fan belt, tension correct (loose), drive underwater (or at least to up your engine air intake), and your fan automatically slips! cool!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tire/wheel design is also unique to this vehicle.
The tubeless radial tires are low profile with a 12 inch wide rim. It's spec'ed to run at only 30 psi on the highway. Tires are marked 16-20 (or 16R20 on the one Uniroyal tire that blew out). They also have a FSN number molded into the side wall.
The wheel is just a ring with 8 lug nuts around the periferi. Parts are aluminum, which makes a tire/wheel assembly easy to handle for two people and no crane needed to handle the spare, which is strapped in place behind the driver.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weighed the wheel and tire assembly this morning and it may not be that easy for two average guys to handle. It weighs 220 lb on a bathroom scale.
Checking with a magnet, the only part that's aluminum is the back plate on the brake drum that holds the eight studs, all other parts turns out to be steel. :oops:

I got a false impression handling the blown tire, which must have left a lot of rubber along interstate I-81....

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks