• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 muffler installed

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a muffler, which was added in an MWO back in the '70s for this vehicle to reduce the "noise polution" while driving the backroads of Germany where these vehicles were stationed.
It may look precarious from this angle, but is also supported by the fuel burning heater exhaust pipe.
Haven't tested it yet since I'm working on the battery box at the moment, but should catch up quickly now that the good weather is back.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it bare metal or painted brown? Might want to spray a couple cans of BBQ grill paint on it to make it match the truck, and provide some rust protection.

Other than that, man it's looking GREAT! I really hope when it's done, that you will consider bringing it to the ECC or Aberdeen! That would be awesome seeing it tool down the road!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, it's primed with Rustoleum, will give it an OD to match the truck later today...
The muffler was galvanized and the top part stainless steel. It's a Donaldson MKM08 5072 E8 model, but I have not been able to find any spec on it.

No.2Diesel

It's strange that the horn is mounted outside the body. I guess they just ran out of room.

Question: Was the air-inflatable door gaskets intact when you first got it. If so, do you intend to make that system operational? From the picture you'd think it was 1970 :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air horn was added as an MWO, the original was an electric situated next the the head light below.
The location of the air horn is the same as on the Goer, BTW.

The door seal appears intact, but the pressuriztion lines are not installed on the tractor version, only on the M656 cargo, which was designed to swim.
The boxy cab tub you see has just enough bouyancy to float the engine and front bogie of the vehicle, when a winch is added, the space between the bumper and cab was foam filled.

The tractor version has no floatation in the rear and is only qualified to ford about 4 ft of water without any preps (except for the bellhousing plug).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks