• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

xm818 bed opinions

mattgunguy

I've been thinking about putting a bed on our 818. The lack of cargo capacity without pulling a trailer is bugging the snot out of me. After looking at about 10 pages of threads on it, I'd like to get current opinions. Benefits of a full size deuce bed over a cut down bed, deuce bed over a m105 bed. Are bumper do dads needed afterwards? I'd also like to put the 5th wheel on a m105 trailer frame to make a dolly of sorts to move a cattle car around to yard on occasion.

I have everything to do this on hand already. So finding stuff isn't a problem.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the looks of the deuce bed on the 818/931 trucks, even though you need to move the spare tire stuff inside the bed. It looks cleaner to me that way.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking about putting a bed on our 818. The lack of cargo capacity without pulling a trailer is bugging the snot out of me. After looking at about 10 pages of threads on it, I'd like to get current opinions. Benefits of a full size deuce bed over a cut down bed, deuce bed over a m105 bed. Are bumper do dads needed afterwards? I'd also like to put the 5th wheel on a m105 trailer frame to make a dolly of sorts to move a cattle car around to yard on occasion.

I have everything to do this on hand already. So finding stuff isn't a problem.
A couple pics of custom built dollies and a pic of a deuce bed on a 5 ton.

Attachments

mattgunguy

I like the looks of the 105 beds & if I were to use one I'd do the sides like on the crew cab I built ( which I can't get the pics to upload from the phone ). But I'm loath to sacrifice my last 105 trailer for this. At least I'd be able to use my cargo cover on the deuce bed.

I'd love a drop side bed. But I've only got the standard a2 bed on hand :( . It is good to know that other have converted a trailer frame int ok a dolly. I hadn't searched up on it yet.

ranchhopper

If your going for a balanced look find a set of deuce rear bumperettes and put them on then cut the bed down just past the bumperettes that way it doesn't look to short.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I filled in the wheel wells and put a king pin on a 105 bed. It also made it a natural dump. I was thinking along the same lines you were on the 5th wheel to 105 frame but my good buddy who happens to be a an ESQ explained liability to me.

818.jpg

Last edited:

mattgunguy

The dolly is strictly for moving stuff around my yard. Would never see pavement. It's not worth a lawsuit. And i thought you had problems with getting that bed off and on. Looks to sit mighty high.

mattgunguy

This is how I'd do the bed if I were to use a 105 bed. It's what I came up with for the crew cab conversion on our deuce. It worked off road pertty well at the KAMO rally. The tires would rub some just shy of the bump stops. I'm not sure if that would hold true with the larger 14.00's though.

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dolly is strictly for moving stuff around my yard. Would never see pavement. It's not worth a lawsuit. And i thought you had problems with getting that bed off and on. Looks to sit mighty high.
That homemade dolly in use. 5 ton with deuce bed.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks