• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 finally pulling the latest trailer home!

Hammer

First, a big thanks to Aaron for storing this trailer for me, and for Maurice for picking it up for me (my 5 ton wasn't up here yet).
Went over to Aaron's place yesterday and hooked to my newest trailer!

Backed under it and had a nice solid engagement of the 5th wheel pin (first hook on this truck! so I was curious to see how well it would engage).

Maurice said the brakes worked great when he towed it, but I had one pot leaking some air, and when I kicked the trolly brake on, nothing happened.
I was hoping it was just some ice in the air lines, but the air tank was dry when I tried to drain it.

It was only a few miles home with the trailer, which was uneventful. Some some ice to drive over.

I have a bridge truck/10 ton truck mirror setup on my driver side, and a normal mirror setup on the passenger side.
Man, I REALLY like the wider mirror mounts, and will be doing SOMETHING to move that passenger side out some. I want to SEE the trailer when I am making sharp turns, and that setup just doesn't cut it.

Speaking of sharp turns, I brought the trailer down the side drive, and through a set of double gates. I had to jack knife the setup twice to get it in and through to where I wanted it. But it fits PERFECTLY where I put it.

I haven't taken it OUT of the driveway yet. It has to go out a different way then it came in. So we will see what kind of clearance I have going out that way. But I will save that for another day.

For now, I need to figure out what is wrong with the brakes.

Btw, the trailer towed great, and with it only weighing 10k lbs empty, it towed like it wasn't back there. Heck, it even softened up some of the bucking I normally have when I run bobtail.

Thanks again guys for all the help!

Attachments

AaronW

Looks good Hammer! The trailer sits at less of an angle than I thought it would.

Consider us even after I get to take your 818 for a spin!:p

Welcome to the neighborhood. Good to have you guys up here.

Hammer

Yeah, I was hoping you would be around to have some fun driving the 818. But I am only a few miles away now, so no more excuses ;)

Super singles on the trailer would be cool, but man would any load on the back of that thing be SUPER TALL!
Let alone the cost of them.
But, you never know how it will end up!

Hammer

Lines were correct, and it rolled fine and pressurized the tank on the trailer just fine.
Couldn't really tell if the trailer brakes worked normally in sync with the truck. Didn't feel like locking up the tires, and wanted to get home without causing more issues then needed.
Valves were open as well. Unless my service brake line on my truck is froze or clogged somewhat, not sure.
Like I said, I was more interested in getting home fine then potentially causing an issue to deadline the truck at Aaron's place.

Funny stuff, picking up a trailer at Aaron's place is like trying to find Waldo... Enough trailers there for a motorpool!

AaronW

Waldo's place

Funny stuff, picking up a trailer at Aaron's place is like trying to find Waldo... Enough trailers there for a motorpool!
Shhhh! I still need a 101 for the 715, and maybe an MKT for the summer rally! Oh yeah....the M38A1 needs a buddy......

Hammer

Rueb, it's only been a couple weeks now.
Mike, it will be nice starting the next convoy from CLOSE to home, not 11 hours of driving MVs just to GET to the convoy!

Scarecrow1

That's a nice set up. You can drive a 5 ton with out a cdl in SC so long as you don't exceed 26,100 lbs total trailer and truck combined weight .. I like the idea of a 5 ton over a deuce to maximize it use age ......Nice find

Hammer

My 5 ton weighs over 20k EMPTY! So you won't be able to put much of a trailer behind it before you need that CDL.
Where as my deuces are about 14k empty (with my stuff in there, and fuel, etc). curb weight stock is 13,030 wo/w. That leaves more room before you need that cdl.

Chut1st

That's a sweet setup! Does anyone have a photo of a semitrailer with super-singles? I've been wondering how that would look.

srodocker

mmmm so what you hauling around with that trailer? sweet that you moved up here! did you bring that stock m35 up? forgot how much you were asking for that...

Hammer

Oh yeah, I got my rims from M1075.
Shipping is what makes them expensive, especially those tires!!!

As for my other trucks, not yet. I have the M1009 up here (DD that thing right now), and the others will be up in the somewhat near future.