• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yes, change that transmission fluid!

Reworked LMTV

Yes, you can use 15W50 or so engine oil. This is what the military wanted, not what your expensive Allison 3000 series transmission wants. Your oil may be well-oxidized and worn by now.

There are two filters. I shopped and found a WIX filter. Turns out Wix is OEM. Bought closeout 2 filter pack for about $25 on Rock Auto. Typically about $60.

Now the fluid issue. Cost. I shopped for the best price among the recommended fluids. Turns out the Allison Service Center had the lowest price on Castrol Transynd. Expect to pay $200 or so for a non-torque converter change. I bought 6 gallons, but only used 4 gallons. Will do another change to get remainder of old oil out, at some point. Military Allisons
have the 7" sump. This job is very messy. Had to drop the middle drive shaft too on my M1088. No metal found in change. For specifics on change, go to Adept Ape's Youtube channel for Allison servicing. Nice, thorough Vid. This guy is a CAT tech actually.

Results were kind of amazing! The shifts are very smooth now and seem more controlled. The U Joints were a total PITA, but the 5 # BFH and 80 amp Everlast Plasma cutter cutting through 1 1/4" hardened steel like nothing (love it) changed their attitude ! :mrgreen:

Attachments

Last edited:
Did you drain the transfer case as well? The t-case and trans share fluid on my 1993 M1079, I went through about 20 gallons on my M1079 to get the fluid to drain out red. Also I did not need to pull my driveshaft as I had it turned just right and snuck out the trans filters.

Seth