• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yoke

jag7720

I replaced my yoke about a year ago because the original one was rusted and th rear seal on the transfer case hardened and cut through the rust leaving a cut in the yoke where it would leak.

So a few days ago I noticed tranny fluid on my driveway... Turns out that the rear plug on the yoke came out.

Anyone ever have this happen?

I replaced the entire unit but I was wondering of pressing the old plug back in and running a weld bead around it to seal it would cause the yoke to weaken? Is this a bad idea?

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never seen that happen but if it can be pressed back in first use a Permatex sealer compatible with gear lube.
Then you wouldn't have to worry about heating the metal.

91W350

I have never seen that either, I would just clean it up and use a thin coat of JB Weld to hold it. Is that an expandable plug? The dish that you drive in from the center and as it flattens, it seals?

jag7720

It had a bit of "glue/sealer" on the inside when it came out. It looks to be crimped in. The flat plate goes in and the metal of the yoke gets crimped down over it. that is why I thought of a weld bead... can't really crimp it.

JB weld isn't a bad idea but I wonder if the vibration and centrifugal tendency would cause it to come apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks