• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

you wnt to see SERIOUSE?

dmetalmiki

s'pose not

"anything special" Unless you happen to be using the outfit on BRITTISH roads!! to see (or come accross)that lot negotiating the (very) narrow lanes to the steam show in devon IS "something"..jeff.... the towing truck is the Brittish ex RAF thornycroft "mighty Antar" the army used them for plant and tank transporting in the 60's. that -particular truck was used to help in the construction /testing of runways. latterly it was used to "pull" (winch) aircraft hanger doors open. cant exactly remember the history correctly I can find out if you like. OR email mike (owner) who has it for sale on milweb (uk). the scammell on the trailer was used by the military as a recovery vehicle and some plant transporting. as said whats special? well just to get to use it on the roads over here requires a "movement order" from the police! mike used to trvell (thus) over 200 miles to the devon steam rally every year! at..20/25 mph and a good! 1 mpg or so.

dmetalmiki

P.s. as an after thought on "big deals"...as a (collector/enthusiasts ) historic militery vehicle..a car licence holder can (could) jump in:, hook up(oh yes?) and drive that lot///((I don't think so!)) lol..as soon as it is loaded or connected..= HGV licence required. (and a WEALTH of expeareance!).

saddamsnightmare

May 11th, 2010.

Still, quite a rig both towing and being towed.... The Scammells always seemed more primitive then our 6X6's, but still a very capable design. I'm pretty sure the DOT in anys state in the US would have a heart attack with that set up....:jumpin:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We routinely pull 100' of trailer here, on designated roads. But we can't pull them with a truck, but a semi tractor. Its like dragging a chain - 3 joints.

Lee in Alaska

dmetalmiki

Towing requirements

Yes thats not allowed over here iether. except IF you have a licence "in type" as vehicles driven as historic can be driven on a car licence. IF UNLOADED and they mean unloaded..even a tooth brush is considard loaded! so..go out of type and the licence requirements step in. Now towing a dolly and a trailer (as you so rightly pointed out) constitutes 2 trailers. the wrecker (and scammell) (however) are classed as a "heavy locomtives" and as such (tho historic) are then (deemed to be) loaded. and so the driver MUST posses an L.G.V. licence. (formally HGV or heavy goods vehicle ). Which I do. due to my age (to fullfill the requirment) I must have a full medical every year. (which I do,) and of course thats like an MOT test for me too lol) so I really don't mind. in fact appreciate.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks