• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zipperless front axle boot installation

nickd

I purchased a pair of zipperless axle boots 1 year ago from Teds Truck Parts and promptly installed them. The installation is a little more involved than installing the zipper style and I will not go into the process. I would reccomend installing them only if you are willing to strip the axle as they have not given me any of the zipper style trouble. They have not popped off or ripped in 1 year and about 4000 miles. This winter has been more mild than previous years so the cold has not been a factor, but perhaps other members who have installed them may have more on the effects of cold on them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer them for the reasons you spoke Nick and because it forces me to strip that front end for service.

Barrman

I installed the drivers side this weekend. Bearings got new grease, brakes got cleaned up and everything inspected. The zipper style probably would have convinced me to use the short cut and get to the rest of the stuff "later." Glad I went through it all.

The boots came from OD Iron via the Georgia Rally in October.

Oh, I don't know about you guys with trucks less than 50 years old. But us with Gassers have studs on the top kingpin/drag link arm. Those little cone shaped washers/spacers didn't want to come out. I used the hammer, bigger hammer, biggest hammer method and it didn't work. Read the manual again. Read all my manuals again. Stared at it for a while and then used the lock nut method to remove the studs. I am going to do the passenger side by pulling the studs first.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any experience with the zipperless, but they'll probably tear as easy as the zippered ones and installed correctly both are waterproof....

ucfjeeper

Re: RE: Zipperless front axle boot installation

Barrman said:
Those little cone shaped washers/spacers didn't want to come out. I used the hammer, bigger hammer, biggest hammer method and it didn't work.
I've got some extra of those cone things if you messed any up in removal. I didn't end up using the arm when I put them back together. I went to full hydrolic steering so I put a plate on the top to cover it up with a zirc fitting.

As far as the boots go, I'm running greasable u-joints in my front and don't have any boots at all. I've got a set of brand new zipper boots, but was thinking about selling them and getting a set of solid boots to put on. I've always heard that they keep as much trash in the knuckle as they keep out of the knuckle though. I mean, I don't wanna go to change my boot only to find that my inner axle seal has been leaking and the knuckle is filled with all my diff fluid.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Zipperless front axle boot installation

you really should run some kind of boot and grease in your knuckle. you are destroying your seal retainer, your spindle face, and the bushing that the outer axle rides on in the spindle tube by not having lubrication in the knuckle. bearings will prematurley fail if you drive in water because it will run right up the spindle and into the bearings

ucfjeeper

all good points, but I know many people that also don't run any boots and haven't had any problems as of yet... "yet" being the key term. I probably will run boots and I'm leaning toward solid boots considering I don't drive the truck as much as my buddies that run without boots.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor

in the near future there will be colored boots available. i had the opurtunity to check out a set of solid yellow boots given to randy ouverson when we were at mudfest. i dont think i would want colored boots for my army truck though. maybe they would be cool on my wheelin truck

ucfjeeper

yea, muffler man put a set of yellow solid boots on one of his trucks. I think he got it from Chuck's though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks