• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53” tires

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'll be that guy and throw out the "53s are only rated to sustained speed of 55 mph" warning. How that's interpreted for a 10 ton tire on a 5 ton truck is a can of worms that's been chewed on in several other threads.

On the main topic, I've heard that the math says 72 mph at redline

Superthermal

That M809 series is looking so TUFF! I would be interested to know your turbo setup. If you have a post about it, if you would send me a link that would be cool of you.
On my M813 I am only doing 55 since that is the highest speed the tire is rated for. I have caught myself hitting 58 a few times but without a turbo on my NHC250 my truck is needless to say GUTLESS. Not sure if everyone else's is the same but definitively not spunky. My tires are the Michelin XZL version. There are some other manufacturers out there that also make a 16.00R20 like Goodyear and Pirelli if I'm not mistaken that may have higher speed ratings.

Reactions: 98G

Hammer

Top speed depends on what your governor is set at.
I got around 73 mph tops on my M818.
Now, I could cruise nicely at 60 to 65 mph, which I found to be a really nice speed to cruise at on the interstate.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not trying to lecture, but I wanted to throw out something to ponder. Yes, most of the tires are only rated for 55 or so. And sure, a lot of us aren't loading these trucks down to their full capacity. So the argument is that it should buy us a little more leeway on it right? The one thing that doesn't change is centrifugal force.

I think the tires (new at least) are underrated. But it is something to consider. (I'm not telling people one way or another, I've done 70+ in MVs on surplus tires...)

Hammer

For reference, here is the tire pressure/weight/speed chart from Michelin for these tires.
Obviously they have a speed limit. And yes it does matter. But we can also take liberty in understanding that most of this chart shows the load ratings at speed and tire pressure.
Btw, this is also a good chart to understand your load rating for lower tire pressures at speeds.

1717806284335.png

Chart is found here. load rating chart

sue

My “53 tires are rated at 14,000 lbs. X6= 84,000 lbs my a3 only weighs
about 18,500 after a few mods. I think cruising a little over 55mph is o.k

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks