• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holes in back of cab

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that the bed is off of the truck, I noticed that there's a couple of what look to be splice plates on the back of the cab on either side. They're bolted on, but there's holes that obivously have never had a bolt through them as the paint is not worn at all. Where these holes for ventilation or was there an optional part that could be put on? I think there's 6-8 holes in each piece. I'm thinking of just pulling in some bolts just to fill the holes, one less way for bugs to get in.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They are probably the holes that are used with the convoy light poles. A "U" bolt should go through them to hold the pole in place.

135gmc

If the holes are about 1/2" in diameter, and are about 3" on center, they may be for a ring mount for a cab-mounted machine gun. There would be one set on each side of the rear of the cab, close to the corners.

KsM715

They are there to let the wasps in and out of the cab.

(really, they are for the convoy light/antenna poles and gun ring legs)

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, never was in a truck that used them. All the trucks in my old unit had the convoy lights mounted on the front of the cab. We didn't have gun mounts either, but we would open the passenger windshield all the way up and put an M-60 out the window over the hood during war games.:D

eagle4g63

Don't you remember the lights I have on my deuce??? I was just there not that long ago!!

OF course we were busy with the whole putting a bed on top of my bed while I was there :D:D:D

Like said "U" bolts holding the pipe to the cab go through those holes.

Attachments

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't you remember the lights I have on my deuce??? I was just there not that long ago!!

OF course we were busy with the whole putting a bed on top of my bed while I was there :D:D:D

Like said "U" bolts holding the pipe to the cab go through those holes.
Ya know I never even payed attention to those, I was busy trying to remember all the other cool ideas I was going to steal from you like those jerry can mounts on the rear mudflaps!! :p

DeucesWild11

Thanks for asking the question John S-B, my deuce has the same thing. Now I am trying to figure out what is the best way to close them up so more rain won't get in. For now I just covered with black electrical tape

Hmm, dug through my old photos, here is a shot from mine when I was mounting the convoy lights. You can see the upper U bolts on the poles. ( The 2nd photo shows how angle iron across the convoy light poles was joined with a second one and magically turned into a light bar. )

Attachments

eagle4g63

Thanks for asking the question John S-B, my deuce has the same thing. Now I am trying to figure out what is the best way to close them up so more rain won't get in. For now I just covered with black electrical tape
If all you want to do is close them up, easy.....then get some 3/8" or 1/2" bolts from the hardware store with nuts and washers and also look for the rubber washers like they use in the toilet tank to go on the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl..........take bolt slide on steel washer, then rubber washer put through the hole and put a nut on the inside.....the rubber washer will seal up the hole nice and water proof.......and easy to remove latter without damage if you ever want to use the holes.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a large fender washers on both sides, a nut and bolt with and sealant for the holes in the back of my cab. 2cents

DeucesWild11

Thanks guys, I was thinking of something along those lines.. I actually have enough room between the cab and the M105 bed to mount a Jerry Can in between. I have about 1-2" clearance between the can and the bed after I install it. I assume that would be enough for any articulation if I went off-roading or something.. I would think the axle would move more than the bed anyway..

Your thoughts?

eagle4g63

I know that there is an inch between my bed and the convoy lights and when I was at haspin I did rub the bed against the light poles, not hard enough to bend anything so you might be ok at 2 inches.

Attachments

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

OK thanks, good to know. I don't plan on doing any off-roading any time soon but if I do I could just take the Jerry can off.. I think it will look good mounted behind the cab.. and I will at least use it to seal up one or two of the holes already there but may need to drill one more..

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all you want to do is close them up, easy.....then get some 3/8" or 1/2" bolts from the hardware store with nuts and washers and also look for the rubber washers like they use in the toilet tank to go on the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl..........take bolt slide on steel washer, then rubber washer put through the hole and put a nut on the inside.....the rubber washer will seal up the hole nice and water proof.......and easy to remove latter without damage if you ever want to use the holes.
:ditto: That's what I'm going to do.

m816

Just do like one particular previous owner of one of my trucks did. Any unwanted holes he found, he just covered them with duck tape and spray painted OD over them. he closed up a lot of holes that way. It worked really well until I tried to mash the dimmer switch, which wasn there. ( the guy only had one leg and had no use for the switch) He just closed the hole and painted over it.:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks