• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 USAF International

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I got another steering wheel.

It is an EX-USAF stake bed. I got it through GSA. It was used at Shaw, so when it is fixed up and tagged, I'm going to drive it to work! lol. (I work at Shaw AFB)

I got to jump it off and test drive it, so I bid a little more than I wanted to, but my business is growing and I really needed a truck with a lift gate for swapping out WVO bins and it is a diesel.

I started to clean it up today until the fitting on my steam cleaner blew, so I need to get another one. Lift gate worked about 3 times up and down now it won't go all the way up anymore or drop back down. I loosened a hose and it dropped, but when I tried to get it to go back up it still wouldn't go all the way or drop down again. So I need to figure out what's wrong there. Plenty of fluid and the pump runs fine. I just have no experience with lift gates.

Cleaned out the battery box and installed two fresh group 31's.

It needs the deck boards replaced, a shimmy in the front end figured out, and I need to find a new alternator for it. It doesn't have just a field and stator, there is a third connection plus the batt connection on the back. Very odd, Napa didn't have anything like it. I might just get a single wire alternator, not sure yet. Depends on how hard it is to find and what it costs.

Engine runs great and transmission shifts smooth. All lights but one cab marker work, wipers work, so does the heat. has 9.00r20 on the rear in good shape, 8.25r20 on the front, in ok shape, starting to have a lot of sidewall cracking.

Can I run 395's dualed? :driver:

My plans are to find a pto for the Allison AT545 transmission, and mount a vacuum/pressure pump under the truck. I have a 1000 gallon steel tank I can swap onto the truck, and connect to the pump. Then I can use the truck to collect one day, or swing the bed off and go service and put out bins the next. Love double duty equipment.

Not sure if I'm going to leave it blue or come up with some company colors.

I'll keep the pictures coming as the progress progresses.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah with most of them even while in service, the side racks don't stay pretty. These are all straight and not bent and all the latches work good too.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Monday, Jason (dangerfieldinc) drove up to originally help me recover two tanks that I needed for my business from Charlotte, but troubles with my truck kept me from following through with that plan.

So Jason and I tinkered around with the truck, got all the lights working, replaced the two rear stop/turn/tail lights, (the originals were functional but crusty), changed out the fuel filters, and aired up all the tires. We also jacked up the front end to see if we could figure out the wobble, didn't see or feel anything, so we took the bearing caps off and added some more fresh GAA. Jason was eager for a test drive so we hoped in and wouldn't you know it, no more wobble! what a difference some low tires and flat spots can do to the ride of a vehicle.

Another thing that came as a shock that I'm surprised I didn't notice, was that it has all wheel DISC brakes! no wonder it will stop on a dime and give 9 cents change! it also will turn just as sharp! I can't wait to thread behind a restaurant with this truck, it will be a snap compared to the old manual Dodge!

Next up is an oil change, and getting another alternator. And a bath. I'll add pictures tomorrow.