• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 CUCV Transfercase rear seal?

Liv2Dive2

So I'm a new guy here, and I'm in the process of getting my CUCV squared away and I noticed I had a bit of a leak under it, after replacing the heater core hoses I knew were leaking I saw this and wanted to bounce my thinking off you guys who have been there done that.

So this is on an 85, I believe it's a NP208 transfer case, and it looks to me like the rear seal is leaking. To repair this I need to pull the drive shaft, replace the seal, do I need to actually pull the extention housing to do this, or can I just clean it in place and replace the seal...is there anything else I should look at or replace while I'm at it.

Here's a pic of the leak. The seal should be a timken part 9449 correct?

Thanks

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What truck are you working on? As some of them have the NP205.

I replaced one just yesterday on my 4x4 Suburban. No need to take the extension off.

Not sure on the part number but you can always get the GM part number from the TM 9-2320-289-34P parts manual and cross reference it.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM 9-2320-289-34P manual the M1009 uses the NP208 and the real seal is a 9449-Z.

Looks like you do have the right part number

Also the -34 manual should have the instructions for replacing the seal. I haven't looked...

Liv2Dive2

The -34 does, it's just a little vague about that particular seal, I guess there's not much to it, it says to coat the seal in petrolatum, is that just grease or is there a current substitute?

Hasdrubal

I'm looking at replacing my seal again. Seems to be a recurring fail. Will check the yoke when its out. Anyone here change out the bushing behind the rear seal? Can this be changed with just the removal of the rear extension?