• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 M998 Driveline Issues

bushw

Good Afternoon All,

Been having issues with my HMMWV recently, went to take my truck out for a ride and when I get above roughly 5 mph I start to hear slamming coming from the driveline. Issues persist regardless of transfer case gear and vehicle gear. Thinking I might be needing to take apart transfer case, but am unsure if that's the best place for me to start. Anybody have any similar issues or advice before I get started?

Thanks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good Afternoon All,

Been having issues with my HMMWV recently, went to take my truck out for a ride and when I get above roughly 5 mph I start to hear slamming coming from the driveline. Issues persist regardless of transfer case gear and vehicle gear. Thinking I might be needing to take apart transfer case, but am unsure if that's the best place for me to start. Anybody have any similar issues or advice before I get started?

Thanks
Might be worth jacking up the rear tires (or the fronts) and turn the wheels. Is the drive shaft wiggling up and down? What about laying down on the ground - and push up on the drive shafts. Do they move?

New truck? New to you truck? Picked up at a Yard... With a forklift?

bushw

Might be worth jacking up the rear tires (or the fronts) and turn the wheels. Is the drive shaft wiggling up and down? What about laying down on the ground - and push up on the drive shafts. Do they move?

New truck? New to you truck? Picked up at a Yard... With a forklift?

Had the truck for a few years. Had it locked in Low when stuck in the mud. Drove it home with no noticeable issues and parked. Few weeks later, something was binding up and I thought it was the brakes being caked up or corroded due to the moisture, gave it a bit more throttle then it started to move and developed the noise I mentioned before.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have likely broken something like a half shaft or drive shaft due to the fact you have the transfer case in HL or LOW and have gotten the drive line in a tremendous bind.
Crawl under the truck after making sure it is secure and look at all the drive shafts and half shafts closely.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never drive in HL. Only H.

Fixed my buddy’s problem. (He just didn’t understand transfer cases until it was explained).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks