• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5/16 winch shear pin questions.

deuceman51

I have read the threads on the shear pins with the tests etc. I have a winch that the previous owner drilled to 5/16 so the correct 9/32 is out of the question. I can't seem to find the shearing psi rating for 2024-T361 Al to compare it to the GI 44-45,000Psi rating. Does anybody have a online source where I can find out where the 5/16 2024-T361 compares? I tried google, but didn't come up with much. I'm planning on ordering the 5/16 Al to make my own pins, but would like to know just how much difference 1/32 of an inch is going to make on the psi before we grenade a winch.

Thanks in advance.

O.D. Fever

You can always make a cut in the pin with a vee tool or a threading tool at the shear point to the original diameter. Or consult the Machinist handbook for sheer strengths of differant materials, the vee cut is the easiest. Joe

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about putting a sleave in to put it back to the correct size, then use standard issue shear pins? I was wondering if you could get a drive pin that would have the right ID after putting
in place. Of course I might be crazy and this is really a bad idea. Don't be afraid to say so
if that is what you think. I have a pretty thick skin.:mrgreen:
Bruce

O.D. Fever

Ok , I ran the numbers, at 9/32" and 45000psi increase dia of same matteral to 5/16. .28125 to .312 dia, your new shear is at 49920 psi, you should be well within the military limits, they half rate everything as a rule, you are at plus 10%. You should be good to go. Joe

joshs1ofakindxj

matweb.com is a good source for material properties. They have generic materials and brand names. Just start typing things into the search at the top right of the matweb page.

deuceman51

LOL, yeah I think that is within reason. Putting a sleave into it isn't really a very practical option for this setup. Works great on seals and things like that, but I don't think it would last in the yoke. I also have a powerline company customer who their guys drilled out the winches so they could put 5/16 bolts in there. I told them that was a bad idea and they grenaded one winch with a grade 8 bolt, go figure! I'm trying to get them back to at least using AL shear pins which I think as O.D. Fever said should be well within reason. I know it's not the same as the 9/32 pins, but I don't know that they have a lot of choice here either. I told them I could get the 5/16 pins made, but I won't warrenty anything in case their winch goes. At least its better than a bolt in there. These guys use their trucks pretty hard, so I can't think of a better test bed to see how 5/16 Al shear pins will work out. I also got them a snatch block, but i'm not sure if they will use it. Looks like we are going to go ahead and test it out.