• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton armor?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all, been off for a few years and have acquired an M939 cargo truck. Does anyone know if there are armor up kits available for these? Or has anyone made a kit?
Thank you in advance.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can't find any kits avail, you can always install the armor-up kits the army provided us to practice with in the 70's-80's.
Sandbags on the floor and a flak jacket to sit on :smile: .. Definitely fits the 5-ton M39-series and M809-series..
I don't know whether they fit the M939-series..

Sorry I'm being totally unhelpful but I could not resist ;) .... However, I will keep an eye and ear out !

Last edited:

FullSpecial

There use to be a company out of Longview WA that made complete armored M923s. Don't remember the name and can't even find a picture
but would know it if I saw one. Logging company that did it on the side I think. Anybody with better search foo?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was 'playing in the sandbox' in 2003, I remember transportation units asking the engineer units on our base to cut up shipping containers and then bolt/weld it on trucks and hummers to augment the sandbags on floors and flak jackets hung on doors. Wasn't exactly a fun time to be driving around Iraq in a soft-skin vehicle...

Not exactly helpful info but if you're looking for authentic types of armor, a lot of it for the early trucks was 'hillbilly' armor that you can make yourself. The up-armored FMTV family quickly displaced the soft-skinned M939 family in theater. I don't remember the M939's having a standardized armor package but I could be wrong. I'll see if any of my transportation buddies have pics or specs of M939 armor.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll drop these here, but please don’t blow up the guys in these threads with a bunch of questions.