• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton turbo ideia?

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot]I know turboing a 5ton has been done before by switching the manifolds and such. But what about making an adapter so you can mount a c-turbo to the port where the muffler goes? Is there a reason this wouldn’t work? I would love to ad a c-turbo to the 250 for the sound and maybe to help wake the motor up a bit. The only thing I could see being a problem is how small the c-turbo is. So even if the c-turbo is too small could you use the same flange with an adapter for a larger one? Just a thought I had while looking for parts to turbo my 5ton.i don't mind making custom parts so that's not a problem.
[/FONT]

abh3

I'm no turbo expert but I do know that the turbo on the 290 Cummins in my lowboy tractor (well, a few trucks back actually) was HUGE compared to a Multi turbo. My guess is the C turbo would overspeed and very bad things would come about in short order.

The world is full of old Cummins engines, do the research and find the (more or less) right turbo. It's sitting in a junkyard right now waiting on you...

supermechanic

"The world is full of old Cummins engines, do the research and find the (more or less) right turbo. It's sitting in a junkyard right now waiting on you..."
Ditto what abh4 said.
Also, get all the manifolds, pipes, crossovers &ect. from the donor engine, finding this stuff piece by piece will be a chore.
Hood clearance will be an issue , custom intake piping may be needed if you don't want to build a bump-out in your hood.

jaxsof

Jwaller has already started a thread on this, and it is fairly complete http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/28133-818-now-turbo-pics.html?highlight=m818+turbo

Installing a turbo that is too small for the application could have sove very exciting effects. The least of which is a lot of smoke and a loss of power(suffocation) the worst is much more spectacular (envision impeller blades coming through hood)
Most likely it would just be a restriction in the exhaust.
The correct manifold isnt really hard to find, but there other mods that have to be done to that engine (NA) to do it right. Read JWallers thread!