• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

925 acquisition from JBLM to Norcal

1StumpJumper

Hey there Devil Dog, I know it is the wrong direction, but if you head North I could relieve you of that bulky scrap weight on the front of your truck!

Might help fuel economy on the trip home. Just sayin.[thumbzup]

Good Luck on both directions of the trip.

jrod66

I was thinking of taking that heavy thing off of there, but I will probably just relocate it to the back! :) If I was going north though I would at least have to stop in and say hey, how is your new truck?

Truckoholic

Very cool! Congrats on the new truck! I absolutely love my M925a1 that I got home just the other day! What part of Norcal are you in? Maybe we'll have to get our M925's together some day!

jrod66

yep love the 925s, I have a few plans for the new rig, dont want to give away too much info just yet, but it should be the first of its kind, at least that I have seen (EVIL) but I am thinking about going with the 1400's rather than the 1600's, truckaholic maybe we can make a deal on your 1400's I have 4 1600 michelins with nubs still on em

:edit: I am located in redding

1StumpJumper

When I was at Ft Lewis on Friday, I did a once over of the two 925s that were there. One of wich lookied to be yours. Anyway, good looking truck if it was yours!

jrod66

Sweet! Thats good information, thank you sir. I am getting ready for the trip up on Thursday, then acquisition on Friday. I am hoping to have some of the necessary tools and accessories needed for the trip home. I passed my test and got my CDL permit and will be riding with a licensed driver. I also purchased a 3 day moving permit from the DMV.

List of things to bring:

1) Fire extinguisher
2) Lug Wrench and bottle jack+wood block
3) Ear Plugs
4) Gas Can
5) Grease Gun
6) Warm clothes
7) WD-40
8- Cardboard or Blanket to lay on (just in case)
9) Tow Strap
10) Air Gauge and air line with chuck
11) Ether 2 cans
12) Jumper cables
13) Fuel Line 10ft
14) Transmission Fluid Line 10ft
15) All necessary paperwork for GL (invoice and Id)

This is the list so far, any criticism is welcomed

1StumpJumper

Food for thoght, as far as I know, the trip permits are only good for the state they are issued in.

Add to your list any juices that these things use.

Congrats on passing the CDL test.

Truckoholic

Taken from the California DMV's website

V C Section 4003 Vehicles Operated on One Trip Permit

Vehicles Operated on One-Trip Permit

4003. A permit, as described in Section 9258, may be issued by the department for operating any of the following vehicles, except a crane:
(a) A vehicle while being moved or operated unladen for one continuous trip from a place within this state to another place either within or without this state or from a place without this state to a place within this state.
(b) A vehicle while being moved or operated for one round trip to be completed within 60 days from one place to another for the purpose of participating as a vehicular float or display in a lawful parade or exhibition, provided that the total round trip does not exceed 100 miles.
The department may issue a quantity of permits under this subsection in booklet form upon payment of the proper fee for each permit contained in said booklet. Each permit shall be valid for only one vehicle and for only one continuous trip. Such permit shall be posted upon the windshield or other prominent place upon a vehicle and shall identify the vehicle to which it is affixed. When so affixed, such permit shall serve in lieu of California registration.

Amended Ch. 326, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978.
That being said..........When it is a commercial vehicle, you are supposed to stop at the port of entry to Oregon and purchase a "Fuel permit" and they will probably tell you that you need a trip permit for driving through Oregon. It's no big deal and doesn't cost much. You just follow the signs to the port of entry right after crossing the bridge from Vancouver into Portland. Actually, I have never been to that one. I moved a truck from California up into Oregon, so I had to stop at the Scales at Ashland to buy my fuel and trip permits. Or you can go to http://www.kellerpermits.com/ and buy your permits online and print them off before your trip. Much easier.

But as far as I am concerned.........if it is not a commercial vehicle being used commercially, the trip permit from California should be fine. When I bought a truck in Michigan and flew there and drove it home, most of the states I went through wanted me to buy fuel and trip permits at every border. Except for Utah that told me my trip permit from California was recognized by them and I was good to go. But Oregon is especially picky with the fuel permits. They want to make darn sure they are getting their highway taxes for fuel you bought in another state that you are using to drive on and wear out their roads.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
other stuff to consider

Mine broke down on my 300 mile recovery. :twisted: I threw the water pump belt.:confused: It is not an easy road side repair so I recommend carrying one of those fancy dandy universal notched belts 'power twist plus" if it is the NHC250. Any other belt and you can buy time. Water pump belt will leave you overheated in minutes!
HD wreckers are more expensive than a lawyer or shrink. :beer:
I also learned that 5 gallons of water can be handy. I also did not have flares or warning triangles and broke down on an elevated bridge part of the interstate going over a swamp so it was narrow to begin with.

I wish you the best and none of the voodo I faced. :driver:

Nice truck and Happy 4th!

Juan

markmontana

... so I recommend carrying one of those fancy dandy universal notched belts 'power twist plus" if it is the NHC250. Any other belt and you can buy time. Water pump belt will leave you overheated in minutes!

Juan
That BELT sounds like a great idea- but what part number? Have you used one on an NHC250? I did some research at their website an cannot find information on the correct belt-

Ned to know which profile: "cross sections - 3L, 4L/A, 5L/B, C and D ?"

Would appreciate any info- have a multi truck recovery coming up soon.:grin:

Last edited:

markmontana

Regarding the idea of the Universal Fit V-belt- I spoke with the makers of the Power Twist belt. I thought this is a great idea- a quick 'road side emergency' back up belt.

But the company (Fenner Drives) thinks otherwise. They do not offer a belt for the NHC250 water pump or any other truck application. While it would be possible to use one in a pinch- they don't recommend it- so just take along some extra NAPA # 24438 belts -- and throw them in the old fashioned way. Much cheaper anyway.

I did like this from their website: (We can't use the word **** on SS? **** NO!)
" If your drive environment is like ****'s kitchen and conventional V-belt life is down to a few months, PowerTwist Plus may be your long term answer. "

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Mark,

I did use a rubber v belt when i changed the water pump and belt after I got it towed home
part number 22425. It is 22/32 wide and 43 inches long. You might want to get one that is at least as long as the longest belt on the truck if you might have multiple recoveries/needs.

I just recommend carrying the spare emergency belt to get you down the road as a temp fix not as a permanent repair. I know it is not the same profile but as long as you can have a water pump that is turning and they look super tough. Not sure how long they would last in that environment but they are high tech engineered. It looks to be an easy field temp repair.

Not like those rubber belts with 2 Phillips screws sold years ago at part stores for $10.

I bought one off of amazon 5/8 x 5ft. They also sell it by the foot.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, forgot to mention the issue with the belt is that the water pump needs to be rotated to change the belt as the pump is eccentric. A lot of stuff needs to be moved to get at it. I took off the fan, clutch, 1/4 radiator shroud, brackets, plates etc. This is not a roadside repair!

Once the water pump is disturbed it will most likely leak at the seal. 47qts is alot of green stuff. Ask me how I know. :roll:

it is one of the craziest designs I have ever seen in my other life when i sold parts for 20 years. Since It is such a bastard, I suspect not many get pm as the other belts can be changed in minutes.

jrod66

The temp belt would be ok, but I would rather just carry an extra set of belts, for the price of spare belts there is no reason not to have them imho. I do thank you guys for the help and the good advice, seems like you can never be too prepared for a recovery.

wsucougarx

Food for thoght, as far as I know, the trip permits are only good for the state they are issued in.

Add to your list any juices that these things use.

Congrats on passing the CDL test.
FYI, the WA State 3 day trip permit is good in all 50 states and Canada. Not sure how far a guy can get in 3 days, but good none the less.

jrod66

I have packed all of the items on my list and are ready to head out in the morning, going to bend, then back on the 5 all the way up to olympia or so and get a motel, supposed to be at jblm at 8am friday morning. I will keep this thread updated as I go.

Does anyone know the size of the bolts that hold the front drive flanges to the hub?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks