• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

97Beast's Transmission Overhaul

97Beast

Yesterday I dropped the transmission in my 1980 M35a2. I figured I would start a thread to help answer a few of my questions about changing out my clutch and pressure plate along with the PTO seals, transmission seals, and rear main seal. Hopefully this thread will help others who find themselves in the same situation as I.

THE PROBLEM: A while back my transmission started grinding into 1st and reverse. The clutch wasnt fully disengaging. Here's the thread from when I was trying to pick out my problem.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/61477-new-deuce-has-problem.html

GATHERING PARTS: I decided I will go ahead an buy an new Pressure Plate and Clutch. Both the updated style from C&C surplus. I also picked up gaskets for the trans and PTO, and a rear main seal. I also just got my alignment tool from Memphis Equipment.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/65902-buying-new-clutch-pp-questions.html

TAKING IT APART:
This thread helped walk me through dropping the trans. Some basic information and steps on how to take it out and put it back in.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/52409-how-transmission-changeout.html
In all pulling the transmission isnt a terribly involved job and I had it out by the end of Friday afternoon. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

97Beast

Now that I have the preliminary information up there. My first observation when I first separated the trans is that one of the bolts that bolts the pressure plat to the bellhousing was rolling around the bottom near the inspection plate! Two more of the bolts were pretty loose too (i could spin around the lock washer and feel the bolt's shoulder! That leaves me with 3 of the 8 Pressure Plate bolts being loose.

I'll get some pictures of it later today.

In all everything else looks like it should to me. I have yet to pull the pressure plate and clutch off the motor. All the forks and springs look in good shape.
So could my lack of full clutch disengagement be attributed to a loose pressure plate? I can physically move the plate but could it be flexing when I press down the clutch pedal? Thus not allowing for full disengagement?

Second I'm looking for a front and rear transmission seal. My rear seal looks good, but I could use another, and I want to have a new front seal to keep any oil away from my clutch disk.
I found the seals on a few websites but the names and numbers have me confused. Does anyone have any links to where I could find a front and rear trans seal??

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes with loose clutch cover bolts everything will flex and totaly release may be problem, though I would think clutch slip may be a problem also

97Beast

Thanks guys. I'll be ordering a rear trans seal.

Yesterday I pulled off the Pressure Plate and Clutch.
Turns out the clutch must have been scorching hot at some point in time. The friction pads are glazed over, the flywheel and pressure plate both have heat marks as well. Even the input shaft looked to have taken some heat.

The flywheel heat marks have me concerned. I know most people get them machined, but would it be a waste of money to buy a new one. A new flywheel is $285, and I suppose it isnt worth the pain of worrying about it being machined properly. What do ya'll think?
Here are some photos of the pressure plate and the missing bolt. And the scorched clutch and flywheel.

Attachments

97Beast

Just wanted to update this thread.. Everything is back together and the truck drives great.

So just to put the information out there for others that may encounter such a mysterious problem as i did.

THAT if you have the same symptoms as I had it could be due to loose and missing pressure plate bolts.:shock:

Cheers:beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sure does look pretty! Did you use rtv on the front that goes around the input shaft? Did you use it sparingly? There is an oil return hole that might get plugged if you didn't. Westy had that issue on his deuce.

97Beast

Sure does look pretty! Did you use rtv on the front that goes around the input shaft? Did you use it sparingly? There is an oil return hole that might get plugged if you didn't. Westy had that issue on his deuce.
Yes, and pretty sparingly. I know of that exact hole, I shouldnt have an issue with it.

That last pic looks familiar, Do you have any videos of yer deuce on youtube? The background looks familiar.
No videos of it on youtube yet.:razz:

Beast,
Thanks for the writeup. Did you resurface the flywheel or buy a new one?
I bought a completely new unit. It could have been resurfaced but i didnt want to trust someones workmanship, especially after how much heat it must have taken.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it should be mentioned that when you replace the disc you have to resurface the flywheel. it is not an option with metalic pads. if you don't, your clutch will slip.

tom

97Beast

So your going to use the old one as a frisbee now? Hehe
Now thats an idea! lol

it should be mentioned that when you replace the disc you have to resurface the flywheel. it is not an option with metalic pads. if you don't, your clutch will slip.

tom
That's a very good point. The flywheel I bought from Memphis equipment came with a nice surface grind on it. The man in charge of their shop reaffirmed me that the new flywheel is ready for installation and that he installs them in his shop as is when new.