• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC60 Fried broken glow plug / 12V resistor bypass

kentuckycucv

Ok I rplaced my glow plugs with AC60 G a few months ago and they fried in a weak. I did not do the resistor bypass... I put 3 good old plugs back in and have been driving all summer. Anyway Its cooling down and time to do the 12V bypass and replace all the plugs.
Uh Oh! just pulled one of my plugs and its 1/4 inch missing. I dont know if it burnt off or broke off. What to do next?
Remove injector and look around? Maybe its long gone? Maybe I bent a valve and thats whats causing my loss of power problem I have been struggleing with all summer... Most of the AC 60 plugs look like a 4th of July Spent sparkeler on the tips.
here are todays pics.

Attachments

kentuckycucv

The plug on the right is a AC13 G
I dont know where it came from but i had wellman 070 and the oddball AC13.
The AC13 survived the high voltage of running 3 plugs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have a bad sensor or GP controller card.

Timing may be an issue. Bad injectors too.

Glow plugs do go bad, but they should not melt off.

kentuckycucv

I think Im johnny worst case scenerio.... Im posting my pictures because you guys like pictures and so do I. Here are pics from earlier when i fried my first set of AC60s
I only removed 3 burnt plugs and put my 3 good wellmans (one was a ac13) back in and drove all summer. Maybe I should have disconected the GP relay...but i didnt. These are freshly fried pics

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thoroughly tested the complete GP system, as outlined in the TM?

kentuckycucv

My BIG question is the 1/4 MIA tip. Did it turn to dust or did it fall off and bend a valve. I did some reading and i guess my next move is to remove that injector and see whats in there.

kentuckycucv

No I didnt use the TM .... I did the 12v to the GP relay. I am getting 10. something Volts to the new glow plugs. My Relay kicks on now for 20secs (im guessing) and then it went off and didnt cycle back on till i turned off the key and turned it back on. I will dig into it more after i take out that injector... to look for my tip.

kentuckycucv

Thanks stonepicker..cool pics. Hope mine doesnt look like that. I guess your saying that your GP burn was a bad injector?
Im thinking I burnt mine up bc of a bad wire connection on one plug and caused a cascade burn out. Maybe my resistor went bad. But from what I read with the 12v GP bypass those possibilities are eliminated.

acesneights1

If you suspect a bent valve, do a compression test. If the truck is missing yu can loosen the inj lines one at a time while it's running to find the cyl that is acting up, sort of like pulling sprak plug wires. If you have no miss and just a loss of power, I doubt it's a bent valve . Start a new thread on your loss of power(unless there is one, maybe I missed it) and go from there.

kentuckycucv

I love this site... Every thing i do to my truck, I come here and read up on it. I dont know if my resistor is bad bc i Just disconected it an put in my NEW AC60 Gs 12v bypass, cut off old connectors, put new ones on.
Turned the key on, I cycled it and my plugs were being energized for about 30 seconds. then GP relay tutned off. Is that normal for the 12v bypass?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
30 sec on sounds a bit too long. I would guess more like 10-12 seconds on is what mine does. I think you need to test your temp sensor(follow the TM).

kentuckycucv

Ok I will test the temp sensor. After I get my injector out and search for a tip. Just got back from the chinese tool store with a 30mm socket.
Doghead do you think 30 seconds or 45 seconds of 10.8v fry out the new plugs.?
Or better question. How long does it take for one of the ac60s to burn out?

kentuckycucv

Sorry Im searching.. but is this the temp sensor I am searching for? located drivers side front engine side block just under the generator with a green wire to it to the left of the first glow plug? here is a pic. I ohms tested it and got nothing.

Attachments

sksAL

my gp's are wired to a solenoid, and brand new set fried ina week. im getting 24v to the plugs i just figured out, darn.

kentuckycucv

yes that was my story.
OK so here is the temp sensor on top drivers side. The plug just spins. Now I have to figure out how to unplug it without breaking it. here are my Pics. How do I test it? Do i need to remove it? How many Ohms is there supose to be??

Attachments