• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Pack bypass

3rdmdqm

I have recently seen on other forums where Deuce operators have removed the airpack completely from the brake system and kept the braking system with the master cylinder only. I’m curious about this. Others have indicated the brakes work fine with no issues without the airpack. Other than the obvious having to apply more pressure to the brake pedal, has anyone done this long term and are there other issues that are created by doing this that are not obviously apparent?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were engineered into the brake system to ensure proper operation under any conditions.

Removal would make an accident more likely to occur, especially in today's traffic.

If you don't want to or can't repair everything in the G742 series (or any tactical vehicle, for that matter) trucks, buy new or reliably rebuilt parts, and have them properly installed. The last thing anyone needs is a injury or wrongful death lawsuit, as a result of such thinking.

HDN

I'd leave the air packs in the system.

"We can go on without easier brakes."
- No one ever

I just hope I never have the experience of losing air on a truck that has dual-circuit brakes, like mine. They're stiff even with air assist!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the pleasure of buying an M813 that the air pack was bad. The truck would stop but like Guyfang says, you plan and look miles in front of you for where you might have to stop and your legs will get a work out. In my case Gimpy drove it home for me and I ran chase. ;-)

When we put it in the barn I had already ordered a good used air pack and promptly replaced it. Worked great until I sold the truck.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Planning your stops further back only works when you don't have to try an unplanned stop.

Think about liability. If you get in a serious collision, one of the first questions you'll hear in the lawsuit is "So, you removed part of the vehicle's stock brake system??"
Your insurance will probably be able to exit stage right at that point.

Cheers

HDN

Planning your stops further back only works when you don't have to try an unplanned stop.

Think about liability. If you get in a serious collision, one of the first questions you'll hear in the lawsuit is "So, you removed part of the vehicle's stock brake system??"
Your insurance will probably be able to exit stage right at that point.

Cheers
This is a pretty big deal right here!

So where can we currently get stuff to rebuild air packs? Last I knew the kits for rebuilding the short air packs didn't work due to wrong-size parts. I'm not sure what the status is for long air packs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks