• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another hard start

Liv2Dive2

Ok, so I'm relatively new, here and to CUCV's. When I got this truck I immediately replaced the GPs and the GP relay, it generally still was a little difficult to start but always cranked up. Normally when it cranked after a hard start I got a large puff of black smoke. Yesterday I cycled the glow plugs 3 times and no luck, I get little puffs of light smoke when I push down the accelerator pedal, but no start to the point that the front battery wears down...I haven't replaced the fuel filters, could this be the culprit, or is in maybe bad IP. I’ve been searching but haven’t really come up with a game plan on what to attack first.

wayne pick

Start simple and change the fuel filter first. You should allways do PM on these trucks when you first aquire them, meaning engine oil service, air, fuel, and trans filters. Check/change front and rear differential and transfer case oil. Grease front end and driveline fittings.

Liv2Dive2

I did most of that, just not the fuel filter, was trying to decide if I was going to fo to a spin on filter...now I'm a little worried about doing that before I get it back to running...don't want to change too many variables all at once.

Liv2Dive2

The batteries are new, but after the long hard no start they were a bit drained, so I've got them on the charger today, should be G2G by this afternoon.

MarcusOReallyus

I did most of that, just not the fuel filter, was trying to decide if I was going to fo to a spin on filter...now I'm a little worried about doing that before I get it back to running...don't want to change too many variables all at once.

I'd say that's one variable you need to change. ;-)

Liv2Dive2

Ok so changed out the old filter housing with a stanadyne fm100 filter in the process I realized the line from the vacuum pump at the rear of the engine was completely off, due to the lines being dry rotted. I replaced both lines to the IP as well as both fuel lines from the filter, also got 2 new batteries after having the other ones load tested, they were only 6 months old but Napa said they didn't pass the load test. So now I'm back to getting white puffs of smoke (which I wasn't getting before I replaced the line from the vacuum pump) but still no start. Looking at the TM 9-2320-289-20, is the IP the next logical step. The PM says I need to check the solenoid, which I'll do once the batteries are recharged, (depleted them during attempted start) the starter still sounds like it's slow, what are the chances the starter is just bad at this point?

Liv2Dive2

Man am I getting frustrated, ok so I did the spin on fuel filter conversion, still no start, starter sounds like it's very slow even though the batteries are brand new, talked to a buddy who used to work on them, he said sounds like the starter was going. So I got a new starter and replaced the old one. Now when I try to re-connect the batteries the starter engages without the key being in. Does it sound like my doghead relay conversion went bad or am I missing something else?

tbearatkin

Once you get the starter issue fixed, you will need to find out if your IP is working. Key in the on position take the pink wire off the IP and see if you hear a click when you connect it again. Click means the solenoid is working. Then check and see if you are getting fuel out of the return line of the IP. If you have fuel to the filter, and fuel to the IP then you need to see if you are getting fuel to Injectors. You will have to crack them open a little bit to see if you are getting fuel at that point. I replaced all the cheap stuff first then it ended up being my IP. Hopefully yours is something simple

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-shot&highlight=Think+my+Injector+Pump+i+shot

I did not see where you had done the doghead relay replacement. Replacing the GP relay is not the doghead relay. That one is under the dash.

Last edited:

Liv2Dive2

So I put the old starter back in, now I can't even getthat to do a slow turn, I just get a click at the starter relay, I'm thinkingI'll replace the relay in case it got damaged when the crappy new starterdidn't function properly.

Liv2Dive2

GOT THE BEAST RUNNING!!!!! I'm pretty stoked, the new starter had a bad solenoid, replaced it and now we're up and running, I'm going to get my old starter rebuilt for a spare if I can find a place either in SC or GA who rebuilds them.

Liv2Dive2

So the Beast ran great for 2 days, went to start her onthe 3rd and now she's not starting again...starter is still turning fine, I getlittle puffs of white smoke out of the drivers side exhaust just like before andshe won't crank...I'm thinking IP at this point, anyone got another theory? I'mgoing to see if there are any other fuel lines under the hood I haven'treplaced, after that I guess I start looking for either a rebuilt IP or someoneto rebuild mine...anybody know a good rebuilder?

Liv2Dive2

Also, when I cranked her the two days she was running it normally took 2 cycles of the GPs then she'd crank. After I drove her for a few miles I could turn off the engine, but she'd crank right up the rest of the day very quickly, if that helps at all. I've been reading all of the IP threads and it seems like when IPs go they are hard to start all the time, could it be that I've got something else going on?

Liv2Dive2

Well the IP soloniod works, I've replaced all GPs and the GP card. I'll do the rest of the checking of the IP this afternoon, I think I'm going to be ordering an IP though

Liv2Dive2

Ok got the new IP at the house, but looking at everything, this truck sat while at Gov Liquidation for a while, it's been very hard to start, should I just bite the bullet and replace the Injectors while I've got it appart, if so I'll have to order them, which means leaving the manifold off for probably at least a week, am I courting disaster as the vehicle is outside, or can i leave the manifold off without much danger?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Danger of what?

Did you confirm your glow plugs are all good? They can go bad with one cycle(reality). Test them now. Look for 1-3 ohms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks