• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another one of those white/blue smoke issues

smillysmil

Hey all I just picked up my HMMWV and it acts kinda strange. On cold starts, (65-70f degree weather) I get a lot of white smoke and runs a little rough. After a couple minutes, the white smoke dies down but a misfire sound can be heard here and there but once it hits the operating temp the white smoke is gone and runs decent.

After it reaches full temp, The white smoke is gone but when I accelerate quickly, I get blue smoke. Especially when it goes into 2nd gear. Fuel starvation? Bad piston rings? I'm not sure. When picked up, oil was low but on the stick. Added about 2 quarts to full mark and hasn't moved since, but only driven a few miles. The oil looks brand new. Cleanest diesel oil I have ever seen. Anyway, that's beside the point. Oil pressure cold is approx 45-50psi, 25-30 hot.

At first, I thought it was glow plugs. So I bought some Chinese plugs as a test and I get the same exact results. While warm I can still hear a random clank noise like the noise you hear when the Detroit is cold. But maybe I am overreacting. Here are some videos.
HMMWV Cold Start (youtube.com)
HMMWV Blue Smoke (youtube.com)
Hmmwv idle (youtube.com)
Ideas? Thanks

Also like to add exhaust smell does not smell like a blown head gasket. To me, it smells like normal diesel. Blue smoke smells maybe a little like oil. Again, Im not sure.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't get smoke from fuel starvation.

Some smoke is common during heavy acceleration, but if it's excessive could be either an air intake restriction (plugged filter or maybe the mushroom cap on the intake is shoved down too far)

Check with a multimeter to make sure you are getting voltage to all of the glow plugs. Also verify approximately 1.5 ohms resistance for each plug.

bluish/grey smoke is a sign of burning oil. Could be a sign of stuck rings or similar, or could be something more serious.

Where did you pick it up from? If this truck just came from auction, then who knows how long it's been since it last ran, or if the engine is even broken in yet.

Misfire and smoke could also be a bad injector or two, causing rough running and incompletely burned fuel into the exhaust system.

Bad internet here so I couldn't watch the video.
Just curious, what part of WA are you in? I'm near Olympia.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter how clean the oil looks change it and the filter right away.

smillysmil

You won't get smoke from fuel starvation.

Some smoke is common during heavy acceleration, but if it's excessive could be either an air intake restriction (plugged filter or maybe the mushroom cap on the intake is shoved down too far)

Check with a multimeter to make sure you are getting voltage to all of the glow plugs. Also verify approximately 1.5 ohms resistance for each plug.

bluish/grey smoke is a sign of burning oil. Could be a sign of stuck rings or similar, or could be something more serious.

Where did you pick it up from? If this truck just came from auction, then who knows how long it's been since it last ran, or if the engine is even broken in yet.

Misfire and smoke could also be a bad injector or two, causing rough running and incompletely burned fuel into the exhaust system.

Bad internet here so I couldn't watch the video.
Just curious, what part of WA are you in? I'm near Olympia.
Hey again Coug! We had this conversation about a month ago. I'm actually in Olympia. On the North East side.

I will definitely check glow plug ohm test. It has been on my to do list.

Picked up from Auction. So yes definitely no way to tell. I am leaning towards this being a brand new engine and might not be broken in. That would be crazy if that was the case. Glow plugs were original that came with the engine, oil looks amazing, and no leaks. I'll have to check again but it looks like absolutely no blow by.

I drive alot of HMMWV’s for work and this one runs strong! Its just the weirdest thing

I did think it might be injector but who knows.

smillysmil

Tested ohm at each plug. Chinese glow plugs are 3.6ohm originals are 2.2. New Wellman plugs come Tuesday. Have not been able to test if 24v is going to all plugs. Changed oil, Ran Diesel Kleen, and a whole tank of diesel. Starts right up in the morning. Still, get a cloud of white smoke and rough running on cold starts but dissipates after 30 seconds and gets intermittent blue smoke until warm. The coolant has not moved, and the oil level does not appear to have moved. (still testing)

I get blue smoke when driving cold but once warmed up 100% very little blue smoke comes out. I've noticed when I'm driving and floor it, the engine rpm comes up and sounds like it hits redline and then finally shifts (otherwise, it shifts normally under lighter throttle). When floored and high rpm, I get what looks like mainly blueish smoke followed by black and a little white. All that while hearing what appears to me as some sort of rev limiter until the transmission finally shifts.

I feel like my symptoms have gone down by a little, but could be due to the fact it has been warmer out. The motor has what appears to be 0 blowby, clean coolant that has stayed full, no obvious flakes in oil, and nothing picked up by the magnetic drain plug. Of course, I'll have to continue my troubleshooting. But appears to me as an engine that may have been overheated. I found the "Cadillac valve" had been unplugged. When plugged in, runs hot and came up to 220. So overheating damage? Now to find out where.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks