• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolt sizes and thermostat?

DEA AK

Hi,
I have googled the heck out of this but colluding find anything. My 2003 M1097A2 was maybe taken apart for crushing?

Could anyone help with info on the following that I need? ...

1. thermostat - part number for Napa, auto zone, or whatever you have.

2. bolt thread and length for;
a. the 2 bolts that connect where the thermostat is.
b. the 3 bolts for the fuel filter.

Again, I have googled it many times but haven't found anything, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
I have googled the heck out of this but colluding find anything. My 2003 M1097A2 was maybe taken apart for crushing?

Could anyone help with info on the following that I need? ...

1. thermostat - part number for Napa, auto zone, or whatever you have.

2. bolt thread and length for;
a. the 2 bolts that connect where the thermostat is.
b. the 3 bolts for the fuel filter.

Again, I have googled it many times but haven't found anything, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Instead of googling everything try cracking open the TMs all the answers are there.
I will help you on this one.
Here is a link that has all the TMs you need to start.
Since you have one of the non advanced trucks you would work down the left column, so the first parts TM is
9-2320-280-24P-1
The first thing you want to do is find out your trucks UOC (usable on code) on page 5 you will see the M1097A2 is BVY
Now you look at the TOC and scroll down to Group 05, cooling system,
Then you will see, 0503 Thermostat, water crossover, and attaching hardware and that it is on page 30-1
Click on 30-1 and it will take you to that subject, you will likely have to scroll up a little to see the picture.
Them.JPG
There you will see the exploded view, pick the number of the item you are looking for and then scroll down to the parts list, we will do #5 the non standard "stud" bolt for the thermostat housing
thermo.JPG

You will see that two #5s are listed "stud, shouldered"
Under the description you will see the UOCs that that part fits, the second one has the UOC of BVY, that is the bolt applicable to your truck.
To the left you will see 4 columns, the second is the NSN number (government part number) and the forth is the manufactures part number.
So now you get on google and search those numbers.
On some fasteners it will give all the information you need, say #10, that is a M10-1.5X35 self locking bolt (that means it is a flanged bolt with serrations to make it self locking.
Now you have all the information to start looking up the parts you need, also download the operators manual and read it from cover to cover and also download the maint. TMs and look up whatever procedures you are doing.

Nobody likes homework but if you do that you will have a MUCH better understanding of what makes your BVY tick!!

Of course there will also be folks here to help if you get stuck.

It is not fair to continue to ask folks to do all the work for you as nobody remembers what size bolts you need and they have to look it up for you.

Guyfang

Staff member
Why don't you start a thread, (this one can be changed to do this) just for your truck? Title it something like "New guy and his 2003 M1097A2 ." Then start posting about what you do, how you do it, why you did it and asking for help. And pictures!!!!! Pictures speak louder then 10 million words.

You have the TM's now, start reading. Get smart. Then you can ask smart questions. If you need help "learning " how to read the TM's and use them, simply ask. That's what the forum is all about.

You have started at least 5 threads. These could have all been in one thread. It helps you keep an oversight of what you have done, what you want to do, and when you want to double check an answer, you don't need to look all over the forum. You will also develop a "following." People who have the knowledge and want to help.

Last edited:

spankybear

For the thermostat

GATES 33924 OE style 190°

MOTORAD 206195 195°
MOTORAD 206180 180°

Murray 3479 195°
Murray 3478 180°

AC Delco 132-56 190°

You will also need a gasket

FEL-PRO Thermostat Gasket 35271

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you search for the #5 bolt by its manufactures number 12339406-2, two of the widely recommended sites to do business with pop up.
HPG (hummer parts guy) and Kascar (real4wd)
Register an account with the ones you want to do business with.
For small things like this it is best to fill your cart with as much stuff you need or think you will need (filters etc), as this will save you on shipping.

If you are down and need a specific part you will possibly pay more for shipping than the part costs especially on these kinds of small parts, that is just the nature of the beast.

Unless you are experienced enough to spot Chicom aftermarket parts (some are extremely authentic looking) stay away from the usual auction sites, especially with electrical parts, light switches etc. as the aftermarket electrical parts are all crap.

You can ask the seller if the parts are OEM and I would say most will be honest but certainly not all of them will be honest....

Last edited:

DEA AK

If you search for the #5 bolt by its manufactures number 12339406-2, two of the widely recommended sites to do business with pop up.
HPG (hummer parts guy) and Kascar (real4wd)
Register an account with the ones you want to do business with.
For small things like this it is best to fill your cart with as much stuff you need or think you will need (filters etc), as this will save you on shipping.

If you are down and need a specific part you will possibly pay more for shipping than the part costs especially on these kinds of small parts, that is just the nature of the beast.

Unless you are experienced enough to spot Chicom aftermarket parts (some are extremely authentic looking) stay away from the usual auction sites, especially with electrical parts, light switches etc. as the aftermarket electrical parts are all crap.

You can ask the seller if the parts are OEM and I would say most will be honest but certainly not all of them will be honest....
Thank you very much.

DEA AK

Instead of googling everything try cracking open the TMs all the answers are there.
I will help you on this one.
Here is a link that has all the TMs you need to start.
Since you have one of the non advanced trucks you would work down the left column, so the first parts TM is
9-2320-280-24P-1
The first thing you want to do is find out your trucks UOC (usable on code) on page 5 you will see the M1097A2 is BVY
Now you look at the TOC and scroll down to Group 05, cooling system,
Then you will see, 0503 Thermostat, water crossover, and attaching hardware and that it is on page 30-1
Click on 30-1 and it will take you to that subject, you will likely have to scroll up a little to see the picture.
View attachment 905788
There you will see the exploded view, pick the number of the item you are looking for and then scroll down to the parts list, we will do #5 the non standard "stud" bolt for the thermostat housing
View attachment 905789

You will see that two #5s are listed "stud, shouldered"
Under the description you will see the UOCs that that part fits, the second one has the UOC of BVY, that is the bolt applicable to your truck.
To the left you will see 4 columns, the second is the NSN number (government part number) and the forth is the manufactures part number.
So now you get on google and search those numbers.
On some fasteners it will give all the information you need, say #10, that is a M10-1.5X35 self locking bolt (that means it is a flanged bolt with serrations to make it self locking.
Now you have all the information to start looking up the parts you need, also download the operators manual and read it from cover to cover and also download the maint. TMs and look up whatever procedures you are doing.

Nobody likes homework but if you do that you will have a MUCH better understanding of what makes your BVY tick!!

Of course there will also be folks here to help if you get stuck.

It is not fair to continue to ask folks to do all the work for you as nobody remembers what size bolts you need and they have to look it up for you.
Thank you very much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks