• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caliper Internal Parts

Vapor Trail

I took apart my calipers to service and paint them and found some of the internal parts damaged. I haven’t found the parts listed on any of the normal supply locations. Does anyone know where I can get the lever retainer boot, thrust screw spring shield, and thrust bearing? I’d hate to spend over $1K on two calipers. It’s a 2004 M1123 with parking brake caliper. Thank you

803B11DE-CE33-4956-BF42-03208EB3210A.jpeg84829476-CD3E-46B8-98F2-D00F583CEE3A.jpeg

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bearing is probably a generic bearing. If you can find an SKF or Timken catalog, you may be able to match it by description. (I've had to do this in the past on an old vehicle with no available service parts. It can take a bit of time, but I was able to find all of the bearings and seals.)

Guyfang

Staff member
I am sure that if you look in TM 9-2320-280-24P, you should be able to find part numbers for the parts you need.

Vapor Trail

Thanks Guyfang. If you click the link you provided, go to volume 1 and page # 580 it's there. #2 is provided but the others in between # 11 and 12 aren't sold separately I guess.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some more looking, and the thrust bearing and spring shield just don't look like anyone documents replacement parts.

My suggestion is straighten out/repair the spring shield as best you can. That likely will be fine.

For the thrust bearing, you'll have to get some calipers and attempt to source it yourself directly from a bearing supplier. (I'm actually surprised that the bearing is not considered a replacement part for rebuild..... the springs, shield, etc don't surprise me.. since often if they are damaged there is more internal damage that has to be resolved before it can be properly rebuilt.)

Vapor Trail

Thanks mgFray. I guess that's my plan. I think the bearings are fine I just have a standing rule of replacing all bearings when i tear something apart. I don't understand how these hats got damaged but i'll just try to straighten these things out. Appreciate it guys!

Guyfang

Staff member
All the parts between item 11 and Item 12 are part of a kit. Parts Kit 5744403, NSN 2530-01-455-9330. Its an AM general parts kit. Plug the parts kit # into your browser.

Guyfang

Staff member
Do you know what a UOC is? Usable On Code? What is the NSN of you truck?

Below is the list of parts in KIT 57K3512. Indeed, the parts you want, are not in there. got to be another way to skin this Cat. Let me take another look at another place.

63 2530014559330 19207 57K3512 PARTS KIT,CALIPER,
BOOT,VEHICULAR COMP( 1) 157-14
CAP,PISTON ( 1) 157-15
GASKET ( 1) 157-12
O-RING,ACTUATOR SHA( 1) 157-11
O-RING,ANTI-ROTATIO( 1) 157-7
O-RING,PIN RETAININ( 1) 157-8
O-RING,THRUST SCREW( 1) 157-13
SEAL,ACTUATOR SHAFT( 1) 157-6

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, I love a puzzle. I started looking and digging. Back in the late 90's, there was a -34P. The parts might be listed there, but my oldest TM is 2001. So no luck there. I started looking in another corner, no joy. Wrote a Email to someone in TACOM. If his lazy butt isn't toooooooo glued to the chair, he might be of some help. Also, maybe forum member Warhorse, or someone like him can tell you what you want to know.

The reason I asked about UOC and the truck NSN, is that if you look at the TM, some parts are listed several times. Like item #12 in this diagram. If you don' know the UOC, then its easy to get the wrong part. Also, I copied the list of contents to the KIT, ( 57K3512) and put it in the thread. Do you know where to find such things in the TM? This info, UOC and KIT list, can be of a great help, when trying to get the right parts. I can go into more detail about it, or, if its not interesting, then not.

Also, for a better picture and listing of that page, go to the -34 TM. Bigger/better picture.

Guyfang

Staff member
Good Morning, Guy
Looks like you will have to buy the whole assembly. We didn't provision those parts or have maintenance instructions to replace them. I think the original thought was to have it Depot repairable, but it is DLA managed with no NMWR for that item. Our Newer manual only shows the assembly as well.

So that's the official word from TACOM. The military, and you, can not get the individual parts. It was meant to be changed out as a whole. The parts were not bought nor given a Part number and NSN. You can only stock so many parts. The cost of stocking a tiny part, can cost over 1 million easy. Got to save money someplace.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks