• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Bed Dump Conversion Hinge Designs

74M35A2

Seeking pics of various hinges used / bought / made when converting a cargo bed into a dump. One hoist mechanism I bought is 3 stage telescopic, so I may be able to go as far up as full vertical, have not done the math yet. No preference on purchase vs fabricate. Also considering to raise bed at rest 2" with thicker wood to properly clear 16.00's tires (M925a2), so need to consider all this simultaneously. Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good idear, start another project before the current one is done, just sayin.

Wasn't it mentioned that you could have had a baby in less time?

74M35A2

Only took about 2 minutes to make my second kid, so yeah, I guess so...

Been wondering where you have been buddy...

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

u might not want to go full verticle though. when my dump is low on fluid, the thing wouldn't come back down. it needs down press. to come back down. just for u to think of.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_4430.jpgIMG_4431.jpgIMG_4428.jpgIMG_4429.jpg
If you can get me your extended and compressed cylinder length, as well as distance below the frame for the bottom cylinder mount. I might be able to help with your cylinder positioning and dump angle.

74M35A2

Interesting. Thanks so far. I see places selling a hinge setup like that.

Cylinders are supposedly about 50” long, and 3 section telescopic. May be nearly too long to position outside of frame rail due to fuel tank. May be able to try inboard of frame rail? We’ll see once it arrives. Will use on trailer if does not fit truck.

5A8F965C-89E7-4A72-9BD4-5020E295B27C.jpg

74M35A2

Well, just that time. Maybe a few others.

Never heard of it, must be like BBQ sauce or Vicks or something. I don’t think you should wear a condom when trying to make a kid, or maybe is that what they do in Ohio?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought you could just punch it and everything in the bed would stay stationary while the truck darts out from under it? Kind of like in the cartoons?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we we are on this subject, there is a company, with a website with hundreds of scissor lift options. Input the hinge distance, weight, bed length, and it gives you the proper scissor lift. It was a good brand name company someone mentioned on here once, and I can not find it, or remember the name! Wasn’t some cheap discount place, but prices were reasonable.

74M35A2

That won’t work then. I’m totally down with cheap, used, broken stuff. Back window of my 9 is a good example...

74M35A2

Thanks. How wide for each one? I’m planning on a rear winch, so don’t want a bar that goes all the way across the back. Would rather 2 single hinges, but I think this is what you are proposing also.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

I got a buddie that bought a deuce that a guy just put a telescoping piston on the cargo body. it was scary to look at. and for the hinge , he just welded a plate on the body and used 1 inch bolts for pins. ya, 1 inch bolts. it was scary looking. the scarier part is he used to put 5 to 8 ton on it and it worked really good. he has had for 5 yrs now and it still works. unbelievable. these things just amaze me.

74M35A2

Shear strength of a single 1” bolt is high, then double for 2. Not surprised it is holding up for him. That’s great news, thanks for the story. If you can get any pics, thanks.

I’m going to leave my knocked out rear window. It will be the only 13 speed M939 with no rear window. I’d probably knock it out with the crane I want to put on anyway! Ha.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and an engine swap
and a 13 speed tranny
and a dump bed
and fixing a broken window ... nah, who needs a window.
You got to go where your priority’s take you! I have the same issues, would probably spend days putting in a bigger heater instead of a new window...