• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civy tow bars

rfischba1

Anyone have a contact who sells a civy towbar that would work to tow a M1009, or M1008?
Someone has to make such a thing on the commercial market?
Thanks

rfischba1

U haul tow bars

Anyone tried to tow a M1008 with a Uhaul tow bar?
I live only 6 miles from base and need to know if U haul's tow bars would work / hook up to tow a M1008 6 miles. I have a 4wd F150 with a 2 ' ball set up.

papercu

tow bars

U-Haul was just used as a genetic name, I don't think they actually rent them anymore. They do still sell them. Wayner

pc3nmcb

I know this don't really help you but I think it might be a good deal for someone. Craigslist St louis has military tow bar, that he states is for humvee up to tanks 200.00. It isn't anybody I know I just saw it.

jwaller

why play around with a towbar for 6 miles. rent a wheel dolly and go the easy way. drop the transfer in "N" and get her home.

hippiedude

I have a wheel dolly and my E250 does not fit on it....I don`t know if a m1008 will fit on one ....you could try it though ... Good luck .. Tim

colomil

If you have a welder, you can make a towbar for about $60. The front clevis mounts work great for mounting a towbar. You should be able to get a 5000# rated 2"~2 5/8" coupler from a tralier supply store, a couple 3' pieces of angle iron and two 1" x 4" bolts with nuts & washers. I towed my old m1008 all the time with one of these.

tlm47201

I tow with a universal reece 5000lb towbar, ant where the universal bumper brackets hook to the bar, took 1/2 inch bolts. I took two 2" short reciever tubes, drilled my 1" holes through on the reinforced end, and drilled the 1/2 " hole in the other. Slide the recievers onto the lift hooks, use the 1" pins, attach the towbar, and it towed fine. I will try to get pics. Cost all of $20 to adapt it.

ragedracer

tlm47201 said:
I tow with a universal reece 5000lb towbar, ant where the universal bumper brackets hook to the bar, took 1/2 inch bolts. I took two 2" short reciever tubes, drilled my 1" holes through on the reinforced end, and drilled the 1/2 " hole in the other. Slide the recievers onto the lift hooks, use the 1" pins, attach the towbar, and it towed fine. I will try to get pics. Cost all of $20 to adapt it.
I'd love to see those pics. I'm probably going to have to do the same thing, and I'm really a visual learning type of person. I gotta see it!

rr

rizzo

tlm47201 said:
my 1008 weighs around 6300 IIRC

tlm47201

I'll snap a few this evening, and post them tomorrow.

ragedracer said:
tlm47201 said:
I'd love to see those pics. I'm probably going to have to do the same thing, and I'm really a visual learning type of person. I gotta see it!

rr

tdfontaine

I used this setup for 400 miles to recover a M1009. It worked great but noticed the 1009 seemed to 'walk' back and forth on the 1" bolt as the receiver tubes are larger than the lift hooks. I'm not sure if others had this issue but I would recommend using washers or some other filler to keep the vehicle from walking back and forth on the 1" bolt. This wasn't a big deal but thought I would share my experiences....