• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cone washers! and Bizarre upper ball joint question

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Was attempting to do this and I just noticed that the u-joints don't have the 3/4 moon clips that everyone online says they should have. Does that mean I have the godawful plastic ones that you have to melt out? Any tips on doing that? I've never dealt with them before.
I don't know what you've got - but the plastic retainers are generally beat out with a hammer. Then you just plug in the 3/4 clips into the (freshly cleaned) retainer groove.

HelluvaEngineer

TM 9-2320-289-34 Section 6-12 page 6-78 is where the M1009 ball joints are discussed. Just use a ball joint puller on each of them. The uppers have an adjustment sleeve. I don’t remember a flange on the ball joints.
Thanks. I got past all of that. My top one had a flange. Who knows what someone installed? Trying to get these plastic u-joints apart now.

HelluvaEngineer

I don't know what you've got - but the plastic retainers are generally beat out with a hammer. Then you just plug in the 3/4 clips into the (freshly cleaned) retainer groove.
So just get a chisel and attack the plastic? All the videos I'm seeing show people melting them with an oxy torch. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks