• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 8.3 Coolant flow

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in process of putting a intercooler up front and also replaced intake to get rid of restrictive aftercooler design. I am plumbing a coolant filter off the 3/4 inch ports on the back of the engine that supplied the aftercooler. My question is can someone turn me on to a coolant flow diagram. I have looked through the TMs but have not come up with anything. Thanks

74M35A2

In general, you run it in parallel to the heater core. It can't handle all of the coolant flow of the main hoses at the radiator. If run with the heater core, this may diminish heater core performance. If connected in series with the heater core, it will greatly reduce coolant flow to the heater core, as the filter housing has very small flow ports (pencil sized on mine anyway)and you are pushing the liquid through restrictive media. So, some people will only run the filter during warm months. There is no fabulous way of catching everything first shot through, but by a filter being somewhere in the system, it will eventually pick up junk.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just needs to be plumbed into a pressure and a port less than the pressure side. The upper port where the cooler was hooked to for pressure and the lower port for return will work.

Coolant flow is as follows, inlet from rad to w/p, to oil cooler cavity, to upper water manifold, to the head, restricted flow down through the head gasket to the liner cavity, to the lower water manifold and to the stat housing/bypass.

And, the C doesn't really need a corrosion inhibitor on it, the liner design is not prone to pitting like the 855.

Last edited:

DWC

i was having trouble finding that part number for the intake! Awesome! Which intercooler did you go with hirollin87?

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to LKQ/Plunks junk yard and did some measuring on some in trucks. I found that International had some wide coolers that would fit around that radiator. Not sure on the year/model just know it was an international. I will look around for any numbers but don't think there is any.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks