• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash Light/Blackout light issue

Liv2Dive2

Ok so I've got my first electrical Gremlin...I had hoped it was just the bulbs...I have an 85 M1009, and the heater control light, as well as the speedo and fuel gauge lights are not working, all other lights function as designed with the exception of the blackout lights.

I've pulled all the fuses, and replaced the bulbs, didn't see a blown fuse...I'm going to try to pull the cluster out, but so far I haven't been able to, if I can get it out I'll clean the contacts, but considering I've got 3 bulbs out I was thinking it probably wasn't just the contacts.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The contacts that attach the cluster to the wiring harness also need to be cleaned.

To remove the cluster you have to remove the speedo cable. There is a clip on the back of the cluster. The release is on top of the cable. You reach under the dash, find the cable, trace it back to the cluster and push the clip towards the cluster while you pull on the cable.

Cluster speedo clip.jpg

A real pain in the rear but doable

Last edited:

Liv2Dive2

The contacts that attach the cluster to the wiring harness also need to be cleaned.

To remove the cluster you have to remove the speedo cable. There is a clip on the back of the cluster. The release is on top of the cable. You reach under the dash, find the cable, trace it back to the cluster and push the clip towards the cluster while you pull on the cable.

View attachment 344336

A real pain in the rear but doable
Roger, I'll clean the wiring harness contacts...do you think that could cause just the light issues I have? Or do you think maybe I've got 2 different problems one with the dash one with the black out lights?

Barrman

While you have the cluster out, put a meter on the pins for the dash lights. Verify you are actually getting power to the cluster. It could be just a plain old 28 year old worn out light switch is your problem.