• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce electric power drain

poppop

My Duece starting draining the batterys several weeks ago. When I disconect a battery cable and touch it back to the post I get a little spark. I started disconnectiog things until the spark went away. It seems the alternater is the problem. I replaced it with a take out I got from papabear with the same results. Both charge great but produce that spark at the batterys when hooked up. I have one more alt to try and see if itis good. I have been disconnecting the batterys when I am not using the truck but is agrivating to have to do that all the time. My question is this, can I run the big power lead that goes to the alternater into the cab and put a disconnect switch there to break the power to the alternater?? If i do that and someone starts the truck without suppling power to the alternater will that burn up the alternater?? Does anyone know what part in the alternater will cause this problem?? I am assuming it is the voltage regulater as I have had that problem with regular trucks. Does anyone have any insight on this??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say you need to replace the rear cover(has all the solid state stuff in it) of your alternator. I think CME has those available. Maybe Erik's Mil Surplus too. http://eriksmilitarysurplus.com/reasforam60a.html

I would suggest a battery disconnect on the negative cable.

Last edited:

poppop

Thanks Eric, I saw your link to CME but they do not say if they sell to us little guys. Maybe have to email them and see

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I beleive they do.

Eriks site says their out, but it gives you all the info you should need.

I have had the same issue you're having and that solved my drain.

Pooch1128

As far as your question about running the main cable that goes to the alt. inside the cab with a switch, that's exactly what we did on our M35A2. As far as cranking the truck switch off messing up the alt., our truck dosen't get anything with the switch off. Even when you put the accessories sitch to on there is nothing till you turn on the "Battery Switch". We mounted the switch in the floor board under passenger seat over battery compartment for ease of install. No more drained batteries.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lloyd a simple batt disconnect between the ground and the batts will accomplish what you need. No need to spend time running wires from the alt to the dash switch and back. It makes it nice when you need to work on anything electrical, just throw the disconnect and you know you will not create any "arcs".

bottleworks

I would say you need to replace the rear cover(has all the solid state stuff in it) of your alternator. I think CME has those available. Maybe Erik's Mil Surplus too. Regulator Assembly For AMA5104UT 60 Amp 24 Volt Alternator, AMA2004AS

I would suggest a battery disconnect on the negative cable.

Doghead,
that is the regulator for the alternator. The rectifier is what fails and causes the key off battery drain problems. Those who install a battery disconnect and consider the problem solved are reducing your battery's lives. Your exposing your batteries to excessive A/C voltage.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I didn't know that-thanks Bottleworks.

poppop

Bottleworks, is the rectifier a separate part or is it in the voltage regulater assembly. I have been searching for info quite awhile today. I don't remember seeing a listing for rectifier in the parts breakdown.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

panshark

if you decided to wire up an external (aftermarket) voltage regulator instead of scoring a replacement internal voltage regulator, would you have to build something extra to compensate for the rectifier?

renovate7

I just found I have been leaving my dash lights on. Even with the main power lever off these lights stay on. It's the bottom left lever on the light switch. You don't notice them during the day.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottleworks, is the rectifier a separate part or is it in the voltage regulater assembly. I have been searching for info quite awhile today. I don't remember seeing a listing for rectifier in the parts breakdown.
Was there ever an answer to this question? I too am having a power drain and I don't want to mischarge the batteries, so figured I would fix the problem, not just "stop" it. I can/will if necessary but would rather "get it done right". THANKS for your assistance!
God bless,

Tony:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks