• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce with head issue recovery

rednckii

hello everyone i know im going to hear about searching the site for my answers i have an to no avail am still stumped the 9month old screaming at me isnt helping. Im finally going to go pick up my deuce on friday after waiting since december and have a few questions

1. it supposedly has a cracked head what to look for as far as signs go ran two yrs ago then noticed was leaking and parked it.

2. i have caged many brakes on semis and other pieces is there anything different or to watch out for on the deuce to help me to get it to roll putting it on the trailer.

3. what should i bring with me seen the recovery list and have everything oil, tools, rags, prayers so on and so forth anything else anyone can recomend.

4. going to be using the 15k winch on my 1008 and a 9k winch mounted on the trailer will this be suffecient to get it up on the trailer.

5. any suggestions on how to c about starting it as long as oil is good and not completly trashed they said they didnt run it after noticed leaking so have fingers crossed.

6. where can i find the wrench for taking the heads off have heard of "saturn" i think as being the manufacture not sure

thanks again all my ss brotherin any help will be greatly appreciated and yes i will b posting pics of the recovery thank you to all that have served and still do.:beer:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knowing what kind of trailer your loading it on to would help . Do you have any snatch blocks to increase the pull from the winch ?

Heavysteven

Let me try this one, I am no expert.

1. Look for oil or coolant leaking from around the head gasket
2. Check the brake fluid and look for leaks. Make a power bleeder.
3. There is a good recovery list here some where on the forum.
4. Be careful a deuce weights about 13,400 lbs.
5. Change fuel filters, new fuel, and new batteries.
6. Saturn Surplus is a dealer they will probably have it

Please be safe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll answer what I can within the quote. I will ask you to please make an effort to use capitalization and puntuation in the future, its too hard to read as is.

hello everyone i know im going to hear about searching the site for my answers i have an to no avail am still stumped the 9month old screaming at me isnt helping. Im finally going to go pick up my deuce on friday after waiting since december and have a few questions

1. it supposedly has a cracked head what to look for as far as signs go ran two yrs ago then noticed was leaking and parked it. Look for leaking coolant, water in the oil, oil in the water or an overpressurized radiator. Pressure test would be in order

2. i have caged many brakes on semis and other pieces is there anything different or to watch out for on the deuce to help me to get it to roll putting it on the trailer. No caging, air over hydraulic, will roll as is.

3. what should i bring with me seen the recovery list and have everything oil, tools, rags, prayers so on and so forth anything else anyone can recomend.
Since you are recovering on a trailer, bring adequate tie downs and maybe a snatch block or two. Perhaps an air source if the tires are down.

4. going to be using the 15k winch on my 1008 and a 9k winch mounted on the trailer will this be suffecient to get it up on the trailer. I can load it with a 2000# winch with the right number of snatch blocks. I've winched deuces up on equipment trailers easily with an 8000# winch.

5. any suggestions on how to see about starting it as long as oil is good and not completly trashed they said they didnt run it after noticed leaking so have fingers crossed. Read manual, learn proper starting procedures and have at it.

6. where can i find the wrench for taking the heads off have heard of "saturn" i think as being the manufacture not sure Better to make your own, I've heard of quite a few of the manufactured ones breaking

thanks again all my ss brotherin any help will be greatly appreciated and yes i will b posting pics of the recovery thank you to all that have served and still do.:beer:

PUZZLED

I see no reason not to start and drive it on IF the leak is external.

If the head is leaking coolant, oil, or compression to the outside and there is no cross contamination, just starter her up and drive it. IF you have a mixing of coolant w/ oil or compression into either system, then puller up.

rednckii

i dont have any snatch blocks at the moment going to try and get one before friday. I have driven and operated a deuce many times along with many other oversized vehicles so used to the weight and the dangers. Also know about checkin the fluids for obvious signs of contaminaion just trying to cover all my bases. As far as the trailer goes it is a 25ft deckover gooseneck. Should be able to get up on it no problem with both winches pulling but will see. Just installed an onboard air setup on my m1008 so will have air available also bringing my slave cable impact wrench in case need to swap any over. Thanks for all your help hope this is easier to read also am a SEABEE " we build we fight, cant read or write"
or so they say.

abh3

I've got an 8K Warn (old style w/ motor on top) that will pull a Deuce (with aired up tires) right up on my gooseneck equipment trailer. I've got the winch mounted on the horizontal crossmember on the trailer, just chuck a battery on it and go. You should be fine but a block might be good insurance.

Someone to steer the thing as it loads is nice but not required if you can get the trailer straight in front of it.

Don't forget plenty of chain & binders to make the DOT happy and make sure nothing is flapping like the battery/storage doors, hood, top or canvas on the bed...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i dont have any snatch blocks at the moment going to try and get one before friday. I have driven and operated a deuce many times along with many other oversized vehicles so used to the weight and the dangers. Also know about checkin the fluids for obvious signs of contaminaion just trying to cover all my bases. As far as the trailer goes it is a 25ft deckover gooseneck. Should be able to get up on it no problem with both winches pulling but will see. Just installed an onboard air setup on my m1008 so will have air available also bringing my slave cable impact wrench in case need to swap any over. Thanks for all your help hope this is easier to read also am a SEABEE " we build we fight, cant read or write"
or so they say.
I appreciate Seabees and what they are capable of but you have to at least make an effort. I think everyone knows that a sentence starts with a capital. I've had a few Seabees trucks and whenever I do get around to painting them, they become seabees trucks. NMCB 74 and NMCB 14 seems to be the units I copy most. Don't worry about winching, the 8000# winch will suck the deuce right up on the trailer. As PUZZLED said, shouldn't be an issue running the truck for short periods of time to figure it out an move it around but since you have the equipment to load, I'd work on it back at your AO. Let me add this one caveat. There is always the possibility of starting an engine that hasn't been run and it runs away. Before you ever try starting it, plug the 1" hole in the lower air cleaner housing under the hood and remove the bonnet/mushroom on the fender. Have a piece of wood on the ready to block off the air flow and kill it if you have a runaway. I speak from experience!

rednckii

I'll have a piece of wood have dealt with a runaway before. As for puzzled sounds like you have an 8274 winch thy are great dont get rid of it. But i will be using the one on the trailer if have to will put the 15k to work also.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have a piece of wood have dealt with a runaway before. As for puzzled sounds like you have an 8274 winch thy are great dont get rid of it. But i will be using the one on the trailer if have to will put the 15k to work also.
I agree with you on the winch. The 8200 series and specifically the 8274 are the greatest light duty winches ever made. Sure they suck power but fast no load line speed and plenty of power. I've had several and wished I had kept at least one. I'll get another!

rednckii, what batallion were you with?

rednckii

i have been with acb-2 and am currently at cbmu 202 waiting to see where i go next. Have completed two six month deployments off africa doing piracy ops providing dozer support and also 1yr in iraq doin various eo projects.

rednckii

Well went and picked up the deuce yesterday went great no issues. Upon returning home went through all the fluids and such, had to wrap one wire where it rubbed through. Other than that she fired right up within 30-40 seconds all together. The only issue i have found so far is the radiator is cracked at the top hose inlet. Haven't found anything else cant seem to find where the cracked head it supposedly has. I am hoping that they meant the radiator will be brazing that here shortly other than that she runs great. The only thing that let me down is it has the "d" turbo so no whistler for me going to remedy that situation. So if anyone has a "c" turbo let me know thanks for the help here are a few pics.