• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did something stupid today

DokWatson

I was being careless today, brain wasn't on. Needed to change a blinker bulb on the passenger side so I went and removed the battery, tray, etc. Well, I should have remembered to disconnect BOTH batteries, because the positive touched the heater assembly and fried the blower motor. I would be REALLY pissed, but my heater didn't work already. I learned a good lesson today, 24 volt systems have TWO batteries and both should be disconnected when working aua

DokWatson

You probably don't need to remove your battery if you don't have a winterized CUCV. The battery heating 'box' is very much in the way of the passenger lights.

stampy

BIG SPARKY! Glad you are OK I learned my lesson when running a 12 pump off 1 battery and the clamp slipped and grounded against the frame. Luckily I got to it before it welded itself there

JB

My Dad warned me to take off my wedding ring prior to disconnecting the batts or when working on anything electrical on my vehicles or etc. My Dad saw a friend get his ring melted on his finger :shock: when it arced while working on his M38 years ago.

Last edited:

ralbelt

I have a friend missing his left ring finger, from jumping down from a MV many years ago, his ring got caught on a bolt head and ripped his finger off.
No jewelry should be worn around equipment or machinery.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend missing his left ring finger, from jumping down from a MV many years ago, his ring got caught on a bolt head and ripped his finger off.
No jewelry should be worn around equipment or machinery.
Let me hear ya' say: AMEN!

Hey now--- been working 'round heavy equipment 20-some years and the first time you see 24 volts weld a mishandled wrench to sheet metal, I guarantee you'll ALWAYS have a healthy respect for the amps involved... not to mention the potential burnt flesh from jewelry/rings/watch-bands, steel boot-lace eyelets making ground, filleted fingers... I could tell ya' some stories.... but I won't! :deadhorse: rofl

mikelee

Ever have a battery explode? or see one that has. I have been a mechanic for 22 years and had one blow on me lucky to not have scars or blind....Be careful wear face shield one of these military battery explodes and that would be like a grenade going off...just a reminder when working with a battery or charging one...I know most all of you are quite skilled but sometimes that shortcut turns to emergency room visit.....aua