• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead relay...oops

DokWatson

I didn't realize I didn't need the relay since I have a 12 volt truck. I was wondering why it wasn't working... since I've already come this far, can I still wire it to work? Or have I really messed up...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it had the stock relay and was working, changing it out with the new relay shouldn't change anything.

How was your truck converted? Using the Roscommon method? Pictures?

Last edited:

DokWatson

The stock relay stopped working this morning, thats why I decided to do the relay mod. I didn't know the relay wasn't necessary, now I'm not sure what to do. I didn't do the conversion. I am fairly certain it is the roscommon conversion.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All depends on how the Previous Owner converted it.

Since the old relay is still in place, we will assume it is still used and you will need to install the doghead conversion.

You will still be using 12v to energize the relay and just switching 12v instead of 24v.

Here is the Roscommon conversion and the stock starting diagram

Attachments

Last edited:

DokWatson

Haha, I figured it out. Dogheads mod was not at fault, it was the battery connection to the junction block. It must have loosened when I disconnected my batteries. Oops.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean. Doghead is always at fault!!!

Glad you figured it out.

DokWatson

Good mod, I like the louder click to let me know the starter is getting power. I know people had trouble with finding the part at napa. The part number is more specifically SME7018601, and comes in a plastic bag. Took a minute for the employee to find it, he was looking for a box with the part number not a bag.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Notice the dashes in the part number, both on the bag and on the bill.

If you need to tell them what the package looks like, you might be in trouble.

I wish people would stop posting new threads with DOGHEAD RELAY in the title, it just adds to the jumble of search results.

Attachments

Last edited:

chevymike

I actually bought the O'riellys one but haven't installed it yet. Looks to be the same as the NAPA one.

Even if doing a 12 volt conversion, the advantage of keeping the relay is that it takes the switching load of the starter solenoid off the ignition switch, which is known to be a weak point in many older GM vehicles. With the relay, the ignition switch is only turning on the relay, which in turn handles the main load of the starter solenoid. Is it needed for a 12 volt conversion? No but it's a great thing to have in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks