• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Starter problem

Liv2Dive2

Ok so today I preformed the Doghead starter mod, started right up, unfortunately while I was tightening the relay down I bridged from the right side bolt to the top right connection (red wire) I heard a pop, got some white smoke on the right side of the engine well near the firewall, and now I get a loud click and no start...what did I fry, and how do I fix it.

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You smoked the "live" 24v fusible link. You should always disconnect both batteries when ever you are working on electrical stuff on the CUCVs.

You smoked the red fusible link behind the rear battery.

It is a 16 gauge link.

You just gather up all the smoke you let out and stuff it back in the wire. Don't miss any or it won't work right :whistle:

Attachments

Liv2Dive2

So I need a new 16 G fusible link then, do they sell them at NAPA? Sadly I did disconnect them, put everything together and checked to make sure it started. Then didn't re-disconnect them, learning has occured...disconnect from start until FINISH!!! On the phone with NAPA now, hope they have one...

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many videos on youtube that show you how to replace a fusible link. The black barrel connector is just a cover. Cut it off and splice in a new fusible link.

The link part is the special wire. Its cover is designed not to catch fire. The connector is not the fusible link.

They may have a link at NPAPA alredy made up, but you may have to buy the wire, some connectors and make your own.

Have you read the sticky that I posted about fusible links?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/74776-fusible-links-101-a.html

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is just wire. It doesn't care what voltage it is. I think it is rated up to 600v.

Liv2Dive2

Thanks Warthog, I was searching as you posted that, my first search didn't help much as I didn't know what the fusible link was called

Again thanks for the help...

Liv2Dive2

Well, all things considered the lesson was not an expensive one...3.99 for a new fusible link, I'm back up and running, now on to the heater motor...sans connected batteries :) thanks for all your help...this site as others have said is amazing!!!!

JGBallew

You smoked the "live" 24v fusible link. You should always disconnect both batteries when ever you are working on electrical stuff on the CUCVs.

You smoked the red fusible link behind the rear battery.

It is a 16 gauge link.

You just gather up all the smoke you let out and stuff it back in the wire. Don't miss any or it won't work right :whistle:

Ahh. Ye of the Lucas school of automotive wiring.

Barrman

Lucas is how learned to wire a vehicle as well. That almost sounded like a praise of Lucas. I guess, "I learned how to rewire a vehicle the right way because it started out with a Lucas system" would be better.

It would be a good idea to remove the batteries and take every connection on the two bus bars on the firewall where your burned fusable link was apart, clean everything and then put it back together again. Just do one connection at a time if you are worried about getting everything back together correct. Each of those connections could lead to a no start condition out in the middle of nowhere on some cold, dark rainy night in the middle of nowhere. Lots easier to do it in your driveway with all your tools there and no time limit.