• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual rear big tires, what would it be worth to have the baddest 5-ton around?

TaylorTradingCo

I recently picked up a rear end off of a bridge truck. Special deep offset, wide rims mean you can run dual 1400's or even 1600's on any 5-ton, with the extra spacers and extra long wheel studs which are included. I think this would make someone the baddest looking 5-ton truck around, with ten giant tires under it. I have a total of 9, 8 rears and a spare, 1400-20 NDT's, spacers, and studs. I could sell just the wheels as most people would probably rather have modern tires on it. My question is, what is the value?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bridge truck spacers cost around 650$ for each rear one. Thats 8hrs of machine work per. You dont need the special front spacers they had. Wheels are worth about 250each.

14.00s are ok but with those wheels its grossly overwidth. The hutchinson wheels and 395s are barely overwidth and dont look abnormal

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All in all you could sell tires and spacers for 3000 to 3500 to a certain person. Also take into account that those studs cost 30$ each if a person buys them new. Take 4000 for the whole bogey with tires, wheels and spacers.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

red

@simp5782 if you know of someone interested in the bridge truck wheels/tires let me know, haven't been able to move the 6 I have at even half that price.

tobyS

Wes provided some great info and pictures in my thread here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?169126-Duals-on-M929A2/page2

Note that the rims he is referencing can do nearly the same thing and not require an axle change (but does require bolts). And while I have not seen them personally with 395's (his photo's are with 12.00r20's), it would seem to be a much more modern setup than the tube type (tubes for 14.00 are $70-100 each) and ring type rims, that are getting harder to find a shop that will mount and service them.

Either setup makes the truck over-width (apparently not with 12.00's however).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Wes provided some great info and pictures in my thread here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?169126-Duals-on-M929A2/page2

Note that the rims he is referencing can do nearly the same thing and not require an axle change (but does require bolts). And while I have not seen them personally with 395's (his photo's are with 12.00r20's), it would seem to be a much more modern setup than the tube type (tubes for 14.00 are $70-100 each) and ring type rims, that are getting harder to find a shop that will mount and service them.

Either setup makes the truck over-width (apparently not with 12.00's however).
The spacers and the 1400s are what make things over width, the spacers are needed to keep the 1400s from rubbing, the 1400/spacer combo makes the width about 9' 6".

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

9'6"! Wow, that's wide. I bet it would look like a monster truck. I might have to try them out on my 5-ton multi-fuel cargo just to see what they look like.

TaylorTradingCo

So, if the tire/wheel set up is that wide, is the bed on a bridge truck wider than 8'? If I had a bridge truck bed, I could just convert my cargo truck into a bridge truck. Seems like I remember somebody saying there were a ton of bridge trucks somewhere in AL.

tobyS

An M812 bridge truck does appear to have a wider bed.

Do you really want a vehicle that needs a wide load permit (even to move it from place to place).?

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will attract DOT cops like flies on doughnuts if you seriously take it on a public road without permits.
The cost of the tickets, plus having to hire someone to haul it back home will set you back way more than 3-4K.

I would like to see what it looks like.
Cool yes. Practical....no.

tobyS

Here are some pics of what I got.
I sold some of the 14.00 NDCC to a friend with a bridge truck and he sent me a PM asking about more tires. Do you want to sell a few that are in very good condition? FYI, I sold them at 120.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold some of the 14.00 NDCC to a friend with a bridge truck and he sent me a PM asking about more tires. Do you want to sell a few that are in very good condition? FYI, I sold them at 120.
I run across a complete bridge truck last month that the guy may sell parts off. PM me if you want his contact info.

TaylorTradingCo

OK, 11' wide is out of the question. I could just use my bed, pull the outers if I wanted to road trip it, then slap them back on for trail riding and good looks. I would consider selling the tires off separately, but not that cheap!

tobyS

OK, 11' wide is out of the question. I could just use my bed, pull the outers if I wanted to road trip it, then slap them back on for trail riding and good looks. I would consider selling the tires off separately, but not that cheap!
Yea, everyone seems to want retail prices....and then it sits. I give SS members a price break and move it. They were NOS and never been on the road. I had 7 and gained a friend.

tobyS

I met Marty and his son and they unexpectedly bought my lunch. We had some great MV talk and I got to see their boneyard of trucks, some closer to running than others. Marty climbed in the back of his M37 and rode in the rain giving me a front seat. When we came across the bridge truck with badly cracked tires, I knew there was a better place for them than my shed.

Last edited:

Mos68x

Yea, everyone seems to want retail prices....and then it sits. I give SS members a price break and move it. They were NOS and never been on the road. I had 7 and gained a friend.
Ida bought all of them for that lol I need new tires anyways. I'm just considering dropping down to the G272s now though